FA Cup preliminary round Alea iacta est; the die is cast, proclaimed Caesar as he crossed the Rubicon to provoke a sea change in the history of the Roman Empire.

Less portentous a moment this Sunday, except to those for whom Champion Hill is their cathedral, as Bridges were burnt and the Hamlet secured their first competitive home victory of the nascent season.

With triumph came the dubious prize of a visit to Premier Division strugglers, but oft destroyers of Dulwich dreams, Walton & Hersham.

Fisher's fear of losing on-loan keeper James Pullen cup tied should his services be required later in the season meant a first team debut for teenage custodian Chris Lewington, latest member of that dynasty to pull on a Hamlet goalie's shirt.

Having displayed a prodigious talent in pre-season performances twas a pity the lad had so little to do as Dulwich had this game under control virtually from whistle to whistle.

Other changes saw the coltish Ohran Stewart replace the battle charger that is Daniel Nwanze in midfield whilst Danny Moore replaced Phil Williams out on the left wing.

On his first start, the much-travelled Moore almost gave the Hamlet a cracking start, his early effort rebounding back off the cross bar.

Excellent anticipation from Bridges' keeper Eddie Olding denied Chris Dickson a chance to add to ever-increasing tally of goals in the third minute, swiftly off his line to swipe the ball off the Hamlet striker's toes as he sallied into the penalty area, neatly evading all attempts to impede his progress.

The frame of the goal was again rattled as a languid curling shot from David Moore just beyond the area left Olding standing but bounced back to him off the far upright.

A rare threat, though real enough, from Bridges' Jamie Liddell on 14 minutes as he glided effortlessly pat Lewis Tozer to fire in a low drive towards goal, one Lewington got down well to parry though hearts were in mouths as the ball ricocheted off him, only for the ball to drop kindly into his hands.

Worrying moments soon after as a rampaging run down the right wing from David Moore was curtailed with a crunching challenge that left the Hamlet man squirming in agony clutching his ankle, fears that were allayed as he returned to the field after treatment.

When the free kick eventually arrived, skipper Jamie Coyle arrived late to meet the ball, only to glance his header wide of the mark.

Twenty-one minutes of waiting but at last the goal arrived as Dickson put the finishing touches to a finely worked move, instigated by Stewart's powerful burst into the area, garnished with some neat close range passing and topped off with Dickson's determined stab past a diving Olding.

Fired by the goal, Hamlet almost added to it within a minute as Dickson was released down the left.

Powering past his marker, he unselfishly laid the ball back for Billy Warner but a powerful strike, always rising and turning, failed to trouble the scorers.

Defensive dithering almost cost Hamlet their lead as the half hour ticked by, Sean David taking advantage of laxity at the back to sneak into space but his acrobatic attempt to clip the ball over an advancing Lewington ended fruitlessly as the ball bounced well wide of the post.

A storming run through the heart of midfield from the regenerated David Moore, head down, the goal his aim deserved to goal to crown it but Stewart, latching on to a perfect pass, battering defenders away, could only finish with a tame poke at a relieved Olding.

Second half and the Hamlet strode from the tunnel like warriors, determined to add to that meagre margin. Not for them the 1-0 rout.

Luke Cornwall, whose tireless, unselfish work often goes unnoticed, determined to hog a bit of the limelight for himself. Shouldering aside the close attentions of his marker, he had the goal in his sights only to rifle his effort into the frame of Olding.

On hour mark Dickson burst on to a pass that had the Bridges' defence flat-footed.

Had Dickson been more altruistic, either Cornwall or Danny Moore might have added their name to the score sheet, but, caught between a pass and a shot, Dickson skewed the ball well wide of the far post.

69 minutes and Cornwall's persistence was rewarded as the veteran striker tucked away a goal of classic simplicity.

An excellent ball in from the left dropped at the feet of Cornwall on the far corner of the six yard, his muscular pirouette sweeping away the attentions of his marker and clean strike through the legs of the falling Olding confirming goal number two.

The appearance of Sol Pinnock in place of Dickson compounded the overworked defences problems and but for a brace of last-ditch tackles the Hamlet substitute might have played provided for further goals for Cornwall, twice denied in the space of three minutes as he met Pinnock's identical low crosses into the heart of the six yard box.

Four minutes remained on the clock, Bridges' no longer looking for an upset but determined to minimise the margin of defeat.

In came a corner, a near post flick and Coyle, steaming in at the back post got the vital touch, to poke the ball home.

Unfortunately in doing so he collided with the upright, injury ending his participation for the afternoon, but by then the work had been done.

DHFC: Chris Lewington; Jason Turley; Billy Warner; Ohran Stewart; Jamie Coyle (Capt.) (Nicolas Plumain 87); Lewis Tozer (Gavin Dayes 76); David Moore; Kenny Beaney; Luke Cornwall Chris Dickson (Sol Pinnock 76); Danny Moore Subs not used: Phil Williams; Daniel Nwanze Attendance: 244 Officials: Referee: Mr David Belbin Assistant Referees: Mr S Woodison & Mr J Cushen Goal Scoring: 1-0: DHFC: Chris Dickson 21st minute 2-0: DHFC: Luke Cornwall 69th minute 3-0: DHFC: Jamie Coyle 86th minute