To a certain degree, this was like watching paint dry.

Neither side was going trouble the play-off places nor were they likely to drop into the relegation zone.

The result was a forgettable end of season affair that sent both sets of fans home just grateful that the sun was shining.

For the Tanners, caretaker manager, Mickey Stephens was without Tony Cuff (injured for the remainder of the season), Ryan Palmer and a Jason Henry who has simply dropped off the radar.

The Tanners simply did not turn up for the first half hour of this game. Had the Swans had forwards who could hit the target, they could have found themselves two or three down in the first half.

Within the first ten minutes, Leatherhead goalkeeper, Chris Lewington, was called upon to make a save at the far post as the defensive marking had disappeared for the moment.

The defensive uncertainty seemed to affect Leatherhead’s otherwise excellent keeper when he went to meet ex-Tanner, Julian Thompson who easily evaded him and struck a shot that was cleared from the six yard area by a relieved Tanners’ defence.

Things could have got worse when a poor clearance found a Walton forward who launched a hopeful shot from some forty yards only to see it rebound to safety with Lewington beaten.

The first half was more about the home side than their Mole Valley opponents. It does seem incredible that eleven players could put in such an uninspiring performance but it was so on the day.

It was matched by an equally unimpressive Swans side who seemed to want the ball more but, when they had it, seemed unable to find ideas of what to do with it.

Leatherhead scarcely troubled a static looking Swans keeper in Antony Hall. The amply built number one scarcely had a save to make and when he was put under pressure, was not threatened by a Leatherhead player in a scoring position.

The second half started with Tom Williams, an impressive performer for the Tanners’ second string, replacing a Dev Williams on the right side of defence.

Within a few minutes of the re-start, Steve Goddard, rapidly becoming a favourite at Fetcham Grove, found space, turned and shot over. It was one of a few chances that were to come the Tanners way on the day.

Ex-tanner, Julian Thompson had found it difficult to find a club that would give him a starting position after he left Fetcham Grove.

He has always been an awlward player to mark and he could have given the home side the lead when his turn and shot was well dealt with by Lewington. It did not seem that either side was going to find the net on the day.

With just over twenty minutes left to play, Mickey Stephens introduced Steve Barilli in place of the frustrated Goddard. Barilli has shone in the reserves this year with his pace and goal scoring ability and it was right that he was given his chance to appear for the first team.

This was always going to be a game that was nicked by the odd goal.

It should have come from the Tanners when one of their few flowing moves saw the hard working Tom Hutchings break wide left and strike a superb cross field ball to Matt Jones.

Jones had the chance to control the ball and play it back into the heart of the Walton penalty area. Instead, he chose to strike a shot at the near post that screwed wide.

This was not an entertaining game to watch and was typical of an end of season performance where neither side had anything to play for.

On Saturday, the Tanners have a chance to dent whatever play-off hopes Sittingbourne have with their last home game of the season. It will take a far more committed performance to achieve that aim.

Team Lewingotn, D Williams (T Williams), Shannon, M’Baye, Hendry, Holmes, Jones, Wilfort, Hutchings (Musungu), Terry, Goddard (Barilli)