After three games, Welling United are still to win their first point.

However, it took a goal in the ninth minute of stoppage time to thwart them in their home game with Chelmsford City. It was harsh on the Wings as they had levelled with seven minutes remaining and did not deserve to come out of the game empty handed.

They had two great chances in a first half, a forty-five minutes in which their goalkeeper Ben Winterbottom wasn’t tested. David Kamara was too strong and two quick for the Chelmsford defenders and bore down on goal however, Chelmsford goalkeeper Josh Oluwayemi read the danger and came out to make the block.

Then, on fifteen minutes, they had an even better opportunity. Jephte Tanga crossed to Kamara in the penalty area and he was felled by Jazzi Barnum-Bobb. Will Wood stepped up and sent his spot kick towards the bottom corner but Olywayemi guessed correctly to make the save.

At the other end, Chelmsford were kept at bay by the Welling defence and Winterbottom’s only task was to field a deflected Anthony Wordsworth shot shortly before half time.

Early in the second period the Clarets had their first real chance when Josh Castiglione headed over from close range before Eze Ebuzoeme fired well over.

Tanga clipped the outside of the post with a shot from a tight angle before the visitors broke the deadlock. Mohammed Dabre found space on the right and crossed low for Charlie Ruff to finish from close range.

Winterbottom kept the Wings in the game with a sensational save to keep out Ben Brookes’ header before Welling came close to levelling. Kareem Isiaka cut in from the left and rounded the Chelmsford goalkeeper but Frankie Terry got back to hack it off the line.

Seven minutes remained when Welling scored a deserved leveller. James Vaughan did brilliantly to find substitute Kain Adom and he showed great composure to make space before firing home from the edge of the penalty area.

Amadou Kassarate then got himself dismissed needlessly for a second yellow card before Terry followed him down the tunnel following a bad challenge on Tanga.

Although seven minutes of stoppage time were signalled, in which Castiglione came close with a shot that hit the post, eight and a half minutes had been played when Chelmsford stole the winner. Welling may have been too gung-ho with throwing players forward for a corner and they got hit on the counter when it was cleared. With an overload of payers, Chelmsford were able to get it out to Castiglione and he shot back across goal and inside the far post.

On Saturday, the Wings are back on the road with a trip to Taunton Town where they will be looking for the elusive confidence lifting first win of the season.

Welling United: Winterbottom, Byrd, Green, Vaughan, Olomowewe, Burchell, Tanga, Bramble, Kamara (Isiaka 68), Odusanya (Kassarate 58), Wood (Adom 68). Sub not used: MacAllister, Papadopoulos.