League leaders Sutton United took the honours with a strong showing at Bromley.

Neil Smith was forced to make one change to the team that beat Solihull Moors on Saturday with injured captain Byron Webster replaced by Kory Roberts. Vice captain Jack Holland was also out so Liam Trotter took the captain’s armband.

Coming into the game, the two teams were the front-runners in the current form guide but the visitors came out all guns blazing and got their noses in front quickly.

Lively Isaac Olaofe, a threat throughout, burst down the right hand side in the opening minutes but fired over with the angle against him.

However, in their next attack, Sutton went ahead. Aaron Simpson crossed from the right and Omar Bugiel knocked it down to Harry Beautyman. He rolled it into the path of Craig Eastmond who fired home via the underside of the bar and goalkeeper Mark Cousins.

Simpson then shot towards the far post but Cousins beat it out before Olaofe picked Roberts’ pocket as he tried to shepherd it out but he could only fire it into the side netting.

After reeling early on, Bromley settled and started to enjoy a bit more possession however Sutton kept their shape and chances were at a premium. They did create one when Luke Coulson crossed, Michael Cheek flicked it on and Jack Bridge let fly towards the bottom corner but Dean Bouzanis stood firm and blocked with his legs.

Bromley then thought that they had a good shout for a penalty when Coulson burst into the area and went down under a heavy challenge but the referee waved all appeals aside.

Just before the break, Bush was cautioned for bringing down Olaofe and it was another foul on the Sutton striker within two minutes of the restart that led to Sutton’s vital second goal. Roberts caught him in the penalty area and this time, referee Carl Brook was in no doubt and pointed to the spot. Beautyman stepped up and gave Cousins no chance sending him the wrong way.

Although Bromley enjoyed more of the territorial advantage and had a number of corners, they struggled at the back and David Ajiboye intercepted Bush’s pass out but his first time effort flew just over.

Substitute Charlie Wakefield’s direct running caused Sutton some problems and his one-two with Courtney Duffus created a shooting opportunity but he could only fire into the side netting. Then Bromley almost shot themselves in the foot again when Cousins’ clearance went straight to Tobi Sho-Silva but the goalkeeper recovered quickly and got back to save Sho-Silva’s first time shot.

Soon after, Sutton put the game beyond doubt. A long clearance sent Olaofe away and although Cousins got a hand on the shot, he could not stop it from crossing the line.

Cheek met a Frankie Raymond free kick with his head but not with enough power to worry Bouzanis however Bromley did pull one back with eleven minutes remaining. Raymond found Bridge and he went past two defenders before curling it inside the far post.

Bush, from a free kick, and Taylor Maloney both fired well over before Wakefield created a chance for Duffus but Louis John made a great last ditch block.

That proved to be Bromley’s last chance and they now need to pick themselves up and prepare for their trip to Wrexham on Saturday where they will look to start another run.

Bromley: Cousins, Kizzi, Raymond, Maloney, Bush, Roberts (Wakefield 60), Coulson, Trotter, Cheek (Alabi 80), Duffus (Williamson 90+), Bridge. Subs not used: Purrington, Vincent.