It took a late Dipo Akinyemi special to extend Welling United’s unbeaten run with a draw at Braintree Town.

In their sixth away game in eight Vanarama National League South games, Welling manager Brad Quinton will be scratching his head wondering how his team hadn’t won the game rather than having to save a point in the final minute.

They missed a series of great chances in the first half and might have been out of sight by half time.

After Matthew Johnson had fired over and Correy Davidson had a low shot out wide saved by debutant goalkeeper Nathan Harness, Welling took control.

Lyle Della-Verde played a superb diagonal pass that Rowan Liburd was unable to touch home then Dipo Akinyemi pulled it back for Liburd but he miscued wide of the near post. Another chance came and went for the tall striker when Della-Verde again created the opportunity but he could only shoot beyond the far post.

Taofiq Olomowewe then came to the rescue of the Iron with a goal line clearance to deny Della-Verde then Patrick Ohman saved from his next attempt.

Just after the half hour mark, Braintree thought that they had gone ahead. Johnville Renee crossed and Davidson volleyed home but early in the build up, the ball had gone out of play and a throw in was awarded to the Wings.

There were no further clear cut openings in the first period but Welling were soon back on the charge in the second period and Ohman made a brilliant double save to thwart Liburd before he had another chance after a surging run by Nathan Green but he shot tamely at the Iron goalkeeper.

Johnson headed wide of the near post for Braintree before Anthony Cook had a long shot saved at the other end.

Things then got tighter and it looked as though the game was drifting towards a goal-less draw when the Iron went ahead with nine minutes remaining. Thomas Derry was first to a free kick and he headed home from close range.

However, Welling were not to be undone and with one minute remaining, Akinyemi received a pass from Della-Verde and fired into the top corner from twenty-five yards.

Welling United: Harness, Cook (Ilic 83), Green, Beeden, Hobbs, Olagunju, Shokunbi, Johnson, Liburd (Isiaka 70), Akinyemi, Della-Verde. Subs not used: Ainsworth, Ryan, Headley.