Another visit to a club with an artificial surface ended in disappointment for Welling United.

Having lost at Maidstone United and drawn at Slough Town, the Wings came home empty handed from their trip to Eastbourne Borough.

Brad Quinton again shuffled his pack. Three Welling full debuts were awarded to Ayo Tiawino, Lewis Hobbs and Jaheim Headley. Additionally, Ade Snikonbi came on for his first appearance in the second half.

Despite playing into a fierce wind, only a last ditch tackle stopped Rowan Liburd from getting a shot away in the opening minutes.

However, it was the hosts who opened the scoring when a poorly defended corner allowed Charlie Walker to play it in low and Greg Luer tucked away from close range.

Liburd headed over for Welling after Lionel Ainsworth picked him out with a free kick then, at the other end, James Hammond fired over from twenty-five yards.

Quick and slick Welling passing saw it played into Liburd who chested down for Ainsworth to finish and notch his first goal for the club.

Mitchell Dickenson headed over from a James Ferry free kick before Reise Charles-Cook was twice called into action. First he made an excellent stop from Charley Kendall after Luer had sent him clear. Then, he got down quickly to smother a Walker effort.

At the other end, Welling came close when Liburd played Ainsworth in. He got past two defenders and it fell well for Stefan Ilic but his shot hit goalkeeper Franco Ravizzoli and ballooned over.

After the interval, and with the wind behind them, Welling came out purposefully. Ainsworth had a shot blocked by James Vaughan then Anthony Cook created a chance for himself from a short corner, but shot wide from outside the penalty area. Ilic, at full stretch, was unable to finish Ainsworth’s teasing cross as Welling pushed forward.

However, the Sports then started to create their own opportunities and James shot over before Walker missed a great opportunity. A cross by Dean Cox was knocked down by Luer into Walker’s path but he lashed it over from close range.

Welling’s escape was short lived, though, and their downfall was another corner that was not properly cleared. On this occasion, Charles-Cook could only palm it out as far as Kendall and with nobody marking him, he had time and space to fire home.

Quinton made changes but the Wings were unable to break down the well organised Eastbourne defence.

Welling United: Charles-Cook, Tiawino, Green, Duncan, Headley (Barrington 80), Olagunju, Cook (Snikonbi 71), Hobbs, Liburd, Ilic, Ainsworth (Akinyemi 71). Subs not used: Agyemang, Danquah.