After defeat on Saturday, Welling United claimed a good point at Hampton and Richmond Borough although they may have wondered how they didn’t claim all three.

Bradley Quinton made two changes from the team that were beaten by Slough Town on Saturday, restoring Aaron Cosgrave to the line up and giving Adam Coombes his first start since his return from his loan spell at Wealdstone.

Nathan Green had the first clear chance when Dipo Akinyemi’s flick from Romoney Crichlow-Noble’s long ball sent him away but he shot wide of the near post as Dion-Curtis Henry raced out.

Ryan Hill tried his luck for Hampton with a free kick that flew wide of the near post but it appeared that Dan Wilks had it covered.

Wilks was then called upon to make a good near post save when Dean Inman flicked on Kyron Farrell’s long throw and then from the corner Inman headed wide from Sam Deadfield’s delivery.

Another fantastic chance was created when Cameron James’ through ball was handled in the area. Coombes stepped up and struck it well but Henry went the right way and made a stunning save.

Akinyemi was next to be thwarted by the Hampton goalkeeper when he burst through and chopped back but Henry made himself big and saved superbly.

Ruaridh Donaldson had a shot on target from thirty yards but Wilks got down well to get right behind it to ensure he was not caught out on the bobbly pitch.

Ryan Hill cut in from the right and fired well over from twenty five yards and then Jake Gray fired over from twenty-five yards.

Three minutes before the interval, Hampton went ahead. Deadfield pulled it back from the bye-line and Nico Muir poked it home from close range.

Crichlow-Noble had the first shot of the second half when collecting a half cleared corner but he fired well over from twenty yards.

Hill might have put Hampton further ahead soon after when rising unmarked at the near post from Deadfield’s corner.

Henry saved comfortably from Crichlow-Noble’s header before making another fantastic save with his feet from Diaz Wright. However, this time his luck his luck ran out as it came out as far as Chiori Johnson and as he burst through he was brought down for another penalty. This time Cook stepped up and smashed home.

Although there were still seventeen minutes remaining, neither team was able to create another clear cut chance and the teams settled for a point apiece.

Welling United: Wilks, Johnson, Green, Joseph, Crichlow-Noble, Wright, James, Cosgrave (Roberts 55), Coombes (Henry 89), Akinyemi, Cook. Subs not used: Goldberg, Krabbendam, Agyemang.