Welling United slumped to their fourth consecutive league defeat at home to Weymouth.

Their bad run has left them out of the bottom two on goal difference alone.

In the early exchanges Dipo Akinyemi drew a good save out of Mark Childs however Weymouth should have scored soon after when Josh McQuoid fired over from close range having been presented with the opportunity by Jordan N’Galo’s cross.

Childs was again in action when getting down well to save an Akinyemi shot from twenty-five yards after Gavin McCallum knocked it into his path then McCallum found space out on the right wing but shot well wide from long range.

Jake McCarthy launched a shot out of the ground for Weymouth before Rob Swaine made a strong tackle that sent Korrey Henry away but he fired into the side netting.

It looked as though the half was going to finish goal-less but with a minute to go before the break Abdulai Baggie broke through a couple of non-existent tackles to fire home.

Baggie almost scored again in injury time but his shot was headed off the line by Ejiro Okosieme.

Early in the second period, Welling came close when Anthony Cook sent in a wicked free kick from the left that only needed a touch to turn it in before he had a low shot saved after good work by McCallum.

After Jay Rich-Baghuelou fired just wide from twenty-five yards Welling levelled. McCallum pulled it back from the right wing and Cook arrived late to fire home.

Josh Wakefield fired over against his former club at one end then Montel Agyemang went on a long run at the other but just missed a bus at the stop outside with his long range shot.

Wakefield again surged forward but he was stopped by Swaine’s foul in the area at the cost of a penalty. Although Dan Wilks went the right way, McQuoid’s conversion had the placement and power to find the bottom corner.

Akinyemi burst through but his shot was too central for Welling then Weymouth’s Ngalo drew a great save out of Wilks.

As the game went into injury time, Welling threw men forward and Nathan Green’s cross was met by a header from Danny Waldren but Childs saved.

However, as a consequence, Welling were caught on the break. Ben Thompson powered down the right and it looked as though he was going for the corner flag to run down the clock but instead he turned back and found McCarthy in space and he broke into the penalty area and fired into the bottom corner.

Cook fired a free kick over but it was too little too late for the Wings.

Welling United: Wilks; Rich-Baghuelou, Green, Waldren, Swaine, Okosieme, McCallum (Emmanuel 65), Agyemang, Henry (Cosgrave 74), Akinyemi, Cook. Subs not used: Goldberg, Anderson, Dymond.