Non-League Day was not a joyous occasion for Welling United as they crashed one-nil at home to Hampton and Richmond Borough.

Anthony Cook had their first attempt when his free kick went straight into the defensive wall after he had been pulled back as he attempted to break through.

Again Cook caused problems when Adam Coombes played him through but Daniel Lincoln got down well to make a good save from his shot at the cost of a corner.

Charles Wassemer’s header from a corner was claimed for a comfortable catch by Dan Wicks before Coombes showed his defensive qualities with an excellent clearing header from Dean Inman’s angled cross after a corner was half cleared.

Bradley Goldberg caught a defender dithering and let fly but Lincoln tipped it over acrobatically. Although nothing came of that corner, they won another one from which Danny Waldren headed over.

At the other end Jake Gray got in behind but shot straight at Dan Wilks at the near post before Jefferson Louis looked to have got clear but Rob Swaine got back to make an outstanding tackle.

There was then a massive shout for a penalty as Coombes appeared to have been hauled down in the area but nothing was given.

As the first half came to a close Coombes drove a free kick just wide before Waldren came close with a drive that went narrowly past the angle of bar and post.

After the break, Welling had the slope in their favour but lost their way although the already booked Charles Wassemer might have feared the worst when he clattered Coombes late. Having taken time to consider it, the referee decided that a free kick was sufficient punishment and Theo Widdrington fired it low but wide.

Wassemer then came close at the other end. Ruaridh Donaldson delivered a long throw that Wassemer headed on and it hit the top of the bar and flew over.

Fifteen minutes remained when Hampton broke the dead-lock. Luke Ruddick lost his marker and headed home unopposed from a corner.

Searching for a response, Nathan Green met a Cook corner but could not get any power on it and Lincoln saved easily.

Substitute Montel Agyemang then picked out Goldberg but he headed wide before Welling had one more chance in injury time. A goalmouth scramble ended with Joshua Oyinsan heading wide from close range.

Next Saturday Welling return to F.A. Cup action when entertaining Eastleigh.

Welling United: Wilks, Dymond (Agyemang 85), Anderson, Widdrington (Jebb 74), Swaine, Okosieme, Cook, Waldren, Goldberg, Coombes (Oyinsan 74), Green. Subs not used: Copeland, Rich-Baghuelou.