Despite being well short of their best, Welling United still had more than enough to see off Tavistock AFC to progress in the F.A. Cup.

Luke Brown had the first goal attempt for the visitors but his shot was saved easily by Dan Wilks.

As the two teams continued to work each other out, Welling created their first opening when Nathan Green created space for himself to cross but Bradley Goldberg could only direct his header directly at goalkeeper Josh Oak.

However, Goldberg made no mistake in Welling’s next attack. Green split the defence to send Goldberg away and he fired across Oak and into the bottom corner.

Theo Widdrington then spotted Oak off his line and tried his luck from just inside the Tavistock half but it floated wide as Oak scrambled back.

Brown headed wide from a centre by Ben Cross before Goldberg scored his and Welling’s second. Green was again the creator sending Goldberg away and his first touch opened it up enabling him to fire home.

Five minutes later, he completed his hat-trick when Welling worked it across the edge of the area before finding Goldberg who tucked it home.

That should have been ‘game over’ but the Lambs pulled one back two minutes before the break. Jack Crago cut in from the left wing and fired into the far corner from twenty yards out.

Any hope that they may have had of getting back into the game was hampered immediately after the interval when Cross flew in to make a horror tackle on Danny Waldren. Referee Callum Walchester wasted no time in pulling out his red card.

Oak then made an excellent save from Goldberg’s well directed header from Connor Dymond’s cross before Widdrington went on a surging run but fired well over.

Adam Coombes also fired over before Tavistock were reduced to nine men. Having not had a decision go his way, Josh Robins appeared to lose his cool and threw himself into a heavy challenge on Dymond giving the referee little option to dismiss him.

Mark Goldberg made a triple change and one of the substitutes, Josh Oyinsan, found the net with his first touch but was adjudged to have fouled his marker.

Another substitute, Jack Jebb, shot wide before Welling made the game safe with a fourth goal. Aaron Cosgrave and Oyinsan exchanged passes as they tried to make an opening, and eventually it fell to Oyinsan and he fired home for his first Welling goal.

Jebb had a first time volley from Anthony Cook’s cross blocked out by Oak before Goldberg fired over an empty net after Oyinsan headed back from Cosgrave’s cross.

Dave Hallett had a free kick saved easily by Dan Wilks before Oak made a superb double save from Goldberg.

Goldberg and Jebb both had shots saved before Wicks made a comfortable save from Warren Daw.

In the closing stages Cook went on a run and fired over but the result was beyond doubt by then.

Next Saturday Welling return to league action when entertaining Hampton and Richmond Borough.

Welling United: Wilks, Dymond, Anderson, Widdrington (Jebb 68), Swaine, Okosieme, Cook, Waldren, Goldberg, Coombes (Oyinsan 68), Green (Cosgrave 68). Subs not used: Copeland, Agyemang, Rich-Baghuelou.