Following up on their F.A. Cup victory one week earlier, Welling United finished September with their first away win of the season.

They came out quickly, playing up the slope, and Adam Coombes tried his luck with a free kick that zipped along the wet surface but Adam Siviter made the save.

Danny Waldren created the next chance with a great ball into the near post but Coombes met it with a first time shot that flashed just wide.

Gavin McCallum then held up play well before finding Anthony Cook. He slung in a deep cross that Coombes headed home but his joy was short-lived as the goal was disallowed for offside.

Once again Coombes had a first time effort fly wide from another Cook cross.

Yan Klukowski shot wide after a free kick was headed out before the referee had the Welling supporters scratching their heads.

First he booked Connor Dymond for what appeared to be nothing worse than a regulation foul. Then he only cautioned Klukowski for a horror challenge on Theo Widdrington. Finally, as Welling mounted an attack he stopped play for an offside against Hungerford much earlier in the play.

Rob Swaine was the next Welling player to go close when his header was headed off the line by Joe Tomlinson.

Zidan Akers had a long shot saved comfortably by Dan Wilks before the Cook / Coombes combination was again in evidence when Coombes headed over from a Cook cross.

Bradley Goldberg then had a first time shot saved after good work from Coombes before Welling went ahead in first half injury time. Waldren surged forward and played a one-two with Coombes before firing into the bottom corner.

Cook got onto the end of a good move early in the second half but his side-footer was too straight and Siviter saved easily.

Widdrington was next to have an opportunity when given space outside the penalty area but he shot over then Goldberg when on a good run before his shot was well saved.

Matt Jones tried his luck from distance for Hungerford but his shot dribbled well wide before Tomlinson finally brought a save out of Wilks before Jones again shot well wide.

Swaine headed just over from a Cook corner before Welling scored the crucial second with twelve minutes remaining. Cook burst away on the break and played a reverse pass with Coombes before finishing clinically.

Wilks made a good block at his near post before Welling gave Hungerford a lifeline in injury time. Wilks and Ejiro Okosieme had a communication breakdown and it fell nicely for James Rusby to tap in.

However that was deep into injury time and Hungerford were unable to create another chance.

Welling United: Wilks, Dymond, Anderson, Widdrington, Swaine, Okosieme, Cook, Waldren, Goldberg (Jebb 74), Coombes, McCallum (Green 41). Subs not used: Agyemang, Rooney, Cosgrave.