Although Welling United’s win-less run was extended to four games, the defeat to National League leaders Wealdstone was tough on them.

Most of the clear cut chances went Welling’s way but a couple of defensive lapses and great goalkeeping from the visitors meant that it was the Stones who went home with the three points.

Mark Goldberg introduced Theo Widdrington for a league debut on loan from Bristol Rovers, and he was influential from the start.

Former Wing Ross Lafayette had the first goal-bound effort of the game but his free kick was saved comfortably by Dan Wilks.

At the other end, Adam Coombes met an Anthony Cook free kick with a header that he sent towards the bottom corner but Aston Oxborough got across to make a stunning save.

Lafayette had another chance but lashed over from the centre of the penalty area before Welling took control.

Bradley Goldberg brought down a long ball superbly, but having done the hardest part he shot straight at Oxborough.

Cook then had a shot that was tipped over by another good save by Oxborough. Soon after, Jay Rich-Baghuelou sent over a deep cross but Coombes didn’t get a clean connection with his bicycle kick and Wealdstone where able to clear.

Gavin McCallum then gave Widdrington a chance to shoot but he screwed his effort wide.

On a rare Wealdstone foray, a shot by Michael Phillips dribbled wide before Rob Swaine’s header out fell for Daniel Green but his first time effort went wide.

Coombes again came close when Joe Anderson returned a half cleared corner but his effort went over.

Dennon Lewis tricked his way into the Welling penalty area but Swaine made a great tackle before passing coolly to set up a counter-attack.

Jacob Mendy had a shot deflected wide for Wealdstone but it was Welling who came close again in the closing minutes of the first half. Once more Cook was the provider but Coombes’ glancing header went just wide of the far post.

After the interval, Welling continued to press but Swaine’s header from Cook’s free kick that drew another outstanding Oxborough save wouldn’t have counted due to an offside flag.

Mendy went on a long run down the left wing then cut in but fired well over but Welling were soon pressing again. Cook’s brilliant cross field ball picked out McCallum, He made space for himself but his optimistic long range effort flew well over.

Widdrington then came agonisingly close to marking his debut with a goal. He collected a low cross from Coombes but his powerful drive crashed back off the post.

Mendy had a shot saved easily before Wealdstone made the breakthrough. A deep corner didn’t look threatening but Phillips escaped his marker and headed home unopposed.

Green tried a curler but Wilks got down well to save before Wealdstone went two up, A good quick attack sent Lewis clear and he gave Wilks no chance with a good finish.

Refusing to give in, Welling were given a lifeline with five minutes remaining. Coombes was wrestled to the ground and a penalty was awarded. He picked himself up and blasted home off the underside of the bar.

Nathan Green might have levelled but headed wide from a corner.

Deep into injury time Welling had an even better chance. Trickery by Jack Jebb on the touchline gave Coombes an opportunity to put in a superb cross field ball behind the Wealdstone defence. Aaron Cosgrave collected it but Oxborough got down quickly to make the block.

Next Saturday Welling entertain Chipstead at the start of their F.A. Cup campaign.

Welling United: Wilks, Rich-Baghuelou, Anderson, Widdrington (Jebb 80), Swaine, Okosieme, Cook, Agyemang, Goldberg (Cosgrave 71), Coombes, McCallum (Green 59). Subs not used: Rooney, Oyinsan.