August ended with disappointment for Welling United with defeat at Concord Rangers.

Eight games of the month have resulted in three wins, two draws and three defeats but the performance at Concord was by far their worst.

Bradley Goldberg had the first opportunity when Chris Haigh dropped Gavin McCallum’s cross but the Concord goalkeeper recovered quickly to block the Welling striker’s shot.

Anthony Cook then delivered a corner that Rob Swaine flicked on and it fell nicely for Bradley Goldberg but he volleyed over.

Next McCallum delivered a corner but Swaine headed wide.

Against the run of play, Concord went ahead. Joel Nouble burst down the wing and used his strength and power to break through three challenges. He then crossed low into the penalty area for Lemar Reynolds to side foot volley home off the far post.

Reynolds was presented with another opportunity but his turn and volley went directly at Dan Wilks who saved.

Reece Prestedge brought down a difficult high ball and laid it off to Montel Agyemang who spread it out to McCallum. He then cut in and his shot went wide of the near post when squaring it might have been more productive.

Kreshnic Krasniqi fired wide for Concord from a long way out then Reynolds tried his luck but Wilks punched it out.

As half time approached, Welling won a string of free kicks outside the penalty area. Joe Anderson thrashed one straight into the wall.

Cook put the next one into the penalty area but Jay Rich-Baghuelou was unable to get a decent connection on his header and it went wide. Then Adam Coombes belted one wide.

After the break, McCallum robbed a defender and flicked it up to allow him a volley but he hit it directly at Chris Haigh who saved.

Danny Green put a free kick wide before Concord doubled their lead. A big goalmouth scramble ended when Nouble guided it home.

Wilks was called into action again when saving from Reynolds and Swaine completed the clearance.

Soon after, Wilks again came to Welling’s rescue when making a double save, first from Decarrey Sheriff and then from Reynolds’ follow up.

However, he was powerless to do anything about Concord’s third. Sheriff sprung the offside trap and was very unselfish when squaring for Krasniqi to put into the empty net.

Joe Claridge was then lucky not to score an own goal when knocking Aaron Cosgrave’s cross just past the post.

Having had the first chance of the game, Goldberg had the last one when his fierce shot was saved superbly by Haigh.

On Tuesday evening, Welling have an opportunity to put the result behind them when they entertain Eastbourne Borough.

Welling United: Wilks, Ming, Anderson, Prestedge, Swaine, Rich-Baghuelou, Cook (Rooney 74), Agyemang (Cosgrave 59), Goldberg, Coombes, McCallum (Green 59). Subs not used: Okosieme, Oyinsan​.