A ninetieth minute penalty winner by Billericay Town was harsh on Welling United.

Although the Essex side were the better team in the first half, Welling were worth a point after a good second half performance.

Anthony Cook on his Welling debut had the first shot on target after Gavin McCallum had found Bradley Goldberg but Alan Julian saved comfortably.

However, the hosts were soon on top and won a series of corners as Welling were forced to defend deep, one of which delivered by Jordan Parkes found Charlie Wassmer unmarked but he headed wide.

In a rare foray forward, Cook brought down a long diagonal pass on his chest and was brought down cynically by Craig Robson but the free kick came to nothing.

On eighteen minutes, Billericay went ahead when Parkes fired home one of his specials from twenty five yards that gave Dan Wilks no chance.

Moments later, Parkes spotted Wilks off his line but his audacious effort went just over.

Alfie Potter then started to boss midfield and he sent Moses Emmanuel away but Wilks made a great save as the former Welling striker looked to have stroked it beyond him.

Emmanuel had another chance when played in by Matt Rhead but his low drive went just wide.

It was then Julian’s turn to make a good save when Goldberg found McCallum and he fired in a low drive.

Potter then cut through the Welling midfield but shot wide from the edge of the box and Emmanuel was again off target when firing into the side netting after good work by Robson down the right wing.

McCallum curled wide but that proved to be a sighter when on thirty-nine minutes he received a cross field pass from Adam Coombes, cut in and fired an unstoppable shot into the top corner.

Excellent build up play created another shooting opportunity for Potter but he fired over then Rhead did likewise on the stroke of half time.

After the interval, Welling came out looking like they meant business. McCallum picked out Goldberg but his header had no pace and Julian made an easy save.

Callum Kennedy tried his luck with a free kick but Wilks read it well and saved easily then Rhead headed wide from Kennedy’s cross.

Cook worked himself into a good position but screwed his cross over the bar then Welling won a corner. McCallum took it short and received it back before crossing for Rob Swaine but he headed wide.

Kennedy’s deep corner found Wassmer but it came to him at an awkward height and he could only flick volley wide.

Chasing a long ball, Emmanuel flicked it beyond Wilks but it had no pace and Jay Rich-Baghuelou was able to get back and tidy up and clear.

Joe Anderson set up Welling’s next opportunity when his cross was half cleared as far as Luke Rooney but his follow up was deflected just the wrong side of the post with Julian beaten.

Wilks made a couple of straight-forward saves from Parkes and Kennedy before Welling had another clear cut chance. Nathan Green went on an excellent run and found Goldberg. He spun and shot but he pulled it beyond the far post.

Green went on another strong run but his shot went just beyond the far post with Julian again struggling.

Ten minutes remained when Billericay were reduced to ten men when Wassmer made an awful challenge on Aaron Cosgrave and was given his marching orders.

Billericay regrouped and looked to catch Welling on the break. Twice substitute Jake Robinson broke away, first firing over and then shooting straight at Wilkes before another break in the final minute allowed Emmanuel a run at goal. He was brought down on the edge of the area and after consulting with his assistant, the referee awarded a penalty. Robinson took the responsibility and fired home into the bottom corner.

It was tough on Welling and they will need to regroup quickly ahead of their next game, at home to Oxford City on Saturday.

Welling United: Wilks, Ming, Anderson, Copeland, Swaine, Rich-Baghuelou, Cook, Rooney, Goldberg (Cosgrave 77), Coombes (Oyinsan 74), McCallum (Green 61). Subs not used: Okosieme, Agyemang.