Following on from their impressive point on Saturday, Welling United claimed the three points in a tight local derby against Maidstone United.

As expected, the game started in a cagey fashion with neither team really getting a grip. A Sam Corne free kick looked dangerous but Jay Rich-Baghuelou dealt with it comfortably. Then Aaron Cosgrave got into a good position for Welling but his low cross was too near Maidstone goalkeeper Jake Cole and he claimed comfortably.

Luke Rooney then got to the bye-line but pulled it behind Adam Coombes before Welling had the first real chance of the game. Rooney was the architect with a superb ball that played Sanchez Ming in behind the left back. However Cole made himself big and blocked with his legs.

Nathan Green was then caught with a high boot but from the free kick Coombes fired well over.

Jonny Edwards had a half chance for Maidstone when he spun on the edge of the area but Rob Swaine got a half block in and Dan Wilks claimed the shot.

However, it was Welling who finished the half the strongest. Rooney just over-hit a through ball allowing Cole to come out and claim at the feet of Bradley Goldberg then Ryan Johnson was relieved to see Cole save his sliced clearance from Green’s cross.

Imperious Rich-Baghuelou picked out Cosgrave who played a one-two with Goldberg but his shot was deflected over for the first corner of the match and there was just time for Green to deliver and Swaine to head wide before the half time whistle sounded.

Despite now playing up the slope, the visitors came out strongly after the break and Iffy Allen thought that he was in from Gavin Hoyte’s cross but Ming put his body on the line to make a great goal-line clearance.

On fifty-three minutes, Welling made the crucial break-through Rooney’s quick free kick put Cosgrave in behind and he showed great composure to fire beyond Cole.

Justin Amaluzor shot wide from twenty-five years before another long free kick, this time by Joe Anderson, found Swaine but Cole was able to make a comfortable save from his header

After Welling survived a goal-mouth scramble they again threatened with a free kick. Ming launched it towards the far post and he also picked out Swaine. This time he tried to head across goal but was unable to pick out a team-mate and it was cleared allowing Maidstone to break. Former Wing, Corne, led the charge but it came to nothing when he shot wide from distance.

Cosgrave had a chance to make the game save when he out-muscled Luke Pennell but this time Cole was equal to the task when blocking with his legs.

Nana Kyei broke through three tackles but his low shot from twenty yards was well saved by Wilks to keep a clean sheet and help Welling take all three points.

The Wings are back at Park View Road on Saturday with another tough game when they entertain Bath City at 15:00.

Welling United: Wilks, Ming, Anderson, Dymond, Swaine, Rich-Baghuelou, Cosgrave, Rooney, Goldberg, Coombes (Anau 78), Green. Subs: Copeland, Agyemang, Platt. Okosieme.