It was a tough weekend for Old Loughts men’s and women’s 2s who both had double-headers.

Both lost unexpectedly on Saturday but bounced back to beat their Chelmsford rivals on Sunday.

On Saturday the W2s started well against local rivals Crostyx W1s, but despite creating a lot of chances could not find the net and lost 2-0.

On Sunday against Chelmsford 2s, Loughts made an impressive start and within two minutes a neat interchange between Faye Holmes and Kareena Myers set the latter clear to coolly round the keeper and slot home the opener. 

Loughts dominated possession but midway through the half Chelmsford equalised with a well -orked penalty corner routine.

Seven minutes after the break Chelmsford were awarded another penalty corner which they converted efficiently to put them in a 2-1 lead.

However Loughts were not to be denied and Holmes rifled home following a Loughts penalty corner and then Myers finished from close range for her second of the match with just six minutes remaining to secure a 3-2 victory.

It was a similar story for the M2s, who played the better hockey against Bishops Stortford 1s on Saturday but suffered a 4-1 loss, with Sam Bond bagging their consolation.

Loughts started well against Chelmsford on Sunday, though, and took the lead following a move down the right which was finished by Matt Lewis. 

Chelmsford were then awarded a flick, which they converted, after the ball hit Jamie Askam's foot on the line but Loughts scored a second goal from a well executed penalty corner after the restart.

The ball was played into the left castle, pushed forward and tapped home from close range by Gus Peddy.

With 10 minutes to go Loughts increased their lead to 3-1 from another penalty corner won by Matt Lewis after a deliberate foul in the area which Bond converted. 

Loughts then defended valiantly after Chelmsford netted a second to hold on and seal three valuable points.

With five teams likely to be relegated this was a fabulous result for a Loughts team which has struggled to score this season.

The bad weather resulted in a number of postponements, but the M4s beat Braintree 2s as Andy Foinette and Daniel Clarke scored in a 2-1 win.

The M6s Willows Woodsmen beat Braintree 4s by a solitary goal, but the M7s Willows Rangers lost 4-0 to Chelmsford 6s.

The W1s played a pre-season resumption friendly against Cambridge City, with Maddy Newlyn scoring first before Cambridge equalised six minutes later. 

The W3s faced second-placed Upminster 2s and despite playing well lost 3-0 to a good team.

The W4s had a long trip to Colne 1s and came home with an excellent point after a 2-2 draw with Anna Ross-Bell scoring twice.

The W5s won 2-1 against Waltham Forest 3s, with Lara Williams and Esha Narwal scoring the goals.