Old Loughtonians women rose to the challenge of hosting the England Hockey Vitality Conference East leaders on Saturday.

Guildford had started the season with six straight wins, but they came up against a Loughts side in no mood to respect their 100 per cent record.

Loughts pressed strongly from the front in the first quarter and remaining resolute at the back. With 25 minutes gone Loughts broke the deadlock when Hannah Bloy drove down the flank and her ball across the D found Chantelle Fernandes sliding in at the back post to score.

Guildford were level four minutes before the break, but just 50 seconds after the restart it was deja vu for Fernandes after Maddy Newlyn’s run and cross found her alone at the far post to score again.

With three minutes remaining in the third quarter its was Newlyn’s turn as her dribble was finished with a reverse strike which arced into the far corner to extend Loughts lead to 3-1.

Guildford pulled a goal back from a penalty corner, but Loughts held on for the three points and climbed to fifth in the table ahead of a visit from Horsham on Saturday.

The men's first team made the long trip to Bath Buccaneers and went behind after just four minutes from a penalty corner.

But despite being down to 10 men, Loughts equalised just before half-time through Max Heaver, before a flurry of green cards in the second half hampered their efforts.

They finally managed to regain the lead from a well-taken penalty corner converted by Conor Caplan and came away with the points, with leaders Richmond visiting Luxborough Lane this weekend as six teams continue to battle it out for promotion to the Premier League.

The W2 returned from the long trek to Colchester W1s with only a point despite dominating as Emily Holmes scored in a 1-1 draw.

But the W3s were disappointed to lose 5-1 to Waltham Forest 1s, while the W4s drew 1-1 against Braintree 2s.

The W5s romped to a 6-0 win at Waltham Forest 4s, as Olivia Collins and Champa Halai made it 2-0 at half time and Hannah Kelly, Emily Harley and Erica Howlett (2) completed the rout.

The M2s created the bulk of the chances in a tight game at the University of East Anglia, who came back well in the second half playing on the break.

A mistake by Loughts allowed the students to score, but the visitors responded with Jamie Askam getting a good equaliser from a short corner ahead of a home date with Harleston Magpies.

The M3s also faced first-team opposition and secured a 1-1 draw with Potters Bar, but the M4s lost 2-1 to Havering 2s and the M5s Willows went down by the same margin against another first team in Tower Hamlets.

The M6s Willows Woodsmen lost to Basildon 2s and the M7s Willows Rangers lost 5-2 to Brentwood 5s, but the M8s Development team won 4-2 against Braintree 5s.

The Supervets had a good 3-1 win against local rivals Southgate Titans.