The last league week of the South London & Kent Pool Alliance winter season and even though champions had been crowned, there was still plenty to fight for, with prize places up for grabs, as well as promotion and relegation issues to be decided. 


In the Premier Division Rugrats travelled to The Fox, with plenty at stake for both teams. 


The Fox were chasing one of the prize winning places, whereas 23 points behind them Rugrats were trying to avoid relegation, so it came as no surprise when Adam Hewson won the deciding frame in the first set, against his former team, to give The Fox a, 3-2 first set lead. 


If the first set went true to form then he second couldn’t have gone more against it, as Steve Stuckley, Scott Shephard, Pat Firth and Mark Burton won the first four frames, for a 6-3 lead. 


The only saviour for The Fox was Hewson, who prevented the set whitewash. 


Stukely won frame eleven to put Rugrats on the hill, but George Taylor and Elliot Giles took the next two frames to bring The Fox back to within one frame. 


However, the wait was over for Rugrats when Steve Gibson took frame fourteen and Burton went on to win the last frame to give Rugrats the unexpected, 9-6 triumph. 


The inspiration behind Rugrats victory was Stuckley, who won all three of his frames. 


This victory was enough to pull Rugrats out of the relegation play-off spot into safety, taking them five points ahead of Rose Inn, who didn’t play this week and therefore drop into the play-off spot. 


At the other end, The Fox miss out on the prize positions by three points, finishing fifth despite winning more games than the two teams above them. 


The team immediately above them are Sharks, who narrowly beat Bull Tavern, 8-7 this week to hold on to fourth, but they could have caught Bellegrove in third, as they suffered a shock defeat to Crayford A, who were hoping to avoid relegation. 


The first four frames were shared, with Dec Kelly taking the deciding frame for Bellegrove. 


Billy Levingbird made that, 4-2 with the first frame of the second set, but Gary Heath, Paul Cobbled, Shane Burnett and Gary Mason won the next four frames, to give Crayford A a shock, 6-4 lead.


 Heath put Crayford on the hill with frame eleven, but they had to wait until Jamie Phillips won the penultimate frame to complete the unexpected victory. 


Bellegrove’s Peter Whyte took the final frame to make the overall score, 8-7, which was even more important, as that frame meant Bellegrove held onto third place. 


Billy Levingbird was the top player for Bellegrove, winning both of his frames but Crayford had two unbeaten plyers; Shane Burnett and Heath, winning one and three frames respectively. 


Unfortunately for Crayford this was not enough to avoid relegation, finishing seven points behind Rose Inn and twelve behind Rugrats. 


The top two teams, Allstars and Hotshots finished off the season for this division, in what could have been a title decider, but as the Allstars were crowned champions last week, this battle became one for pride, which Allstars took, but only just, 8-7. 


The game with the most at stake in SLKPA Division One was the one between Academicals and New Eltham New Stars. 


Before this game there was 35 points between the two teams, with New Stars looking to cement their promotion play-off place and Academicals trying to get out of the relegation play-off spot. 


So, it was a surprise when the first four frames were shared and it came as an even bigger surprise when Paul Thomas took frame five to give Academicals a, 3-2 lead.


The shocks continued as Shane Hutley and Paul Doherty won the next two frames to extend Academicals’ lead to, 5-2. 


Dave Jandu and Jim Duff took the next two frames to bring the score back to, 5-4 and send the second set into a deciding frame as well. 


Thomas made it two set deciders in a row giving Academicals an unexpected, 6-4 lead. 


Jandu made it three out of three for him on the night, to bring New Stars back to within a frame, but that was it for New Stars, as Academicals won the last four frames to give them the set, 4-1 and the match by 10 frames to 5.


As well as Jandu’s hat-trick for New Stars, both Doherty and Thomas achieved the same for Academicals and they were supported by, Hutley who won two of his three frames, with Gary Mason and Dean Williams both scoring a frame as well. 


New Stars did enough to hold onto third place, by nine points in the end, and will play Rose Inn for a place in the Premier Division, but with Academicals ending the season as they started, with a big home win, was it enough to escape the relegation play-off place?


Bellegrove A were the team above them, and they travelled to Academicals sister side and recently crowned division champions, Pickwick, so it was going to be a tall order. 


Pickwick started in the same vein as they had all season, winning the first set, 4-1 but Bellegrove shocked Pickwick, winning five of the next six frames to take the lead, 6-5 with the eleventh frame being won by a clearance in record time from Steve Hughes. 


Pickwick nudged their way back into the lead, 7-6 only for Bellegrove to equalise in the very next frame to send the match into a final frame decider. 


In the final frame, Bellegrove found themselves on a seemingly unmissable black, which they managed to miss leaving it for Martin Storey to tap in for an undeserved, 8-7 triumph. 


Peter Moult was the player of the night, winning all three of his frames. 


Pickwick may have already been celebrating their success as this was probably their worst display of the season. 


Bellegrove’s seven frames were enough to keep them two points ahead of Academicals, who will now play Sea the Angles to see who will play Division One pool next season. 


The bottom two, Rugrats Guardians and Just Bellegrove were due to play each other, but Guardians could not field a side, so Bellegrove were awarded a walkover win however, it still left them seven frames short of Academicals and nine behind Bellegrove A, meaning they will be relegated along with Guardians. 


There was a very close game between the two sides from Eltham Terrace, with Nuthouse already promoted in second and Rack Pack chasing third place and the play-off spot. 


This match was so close that each set went to a deciding frame. 


In the first set the frames alternated between the two sides, before Alex Biggs was victorious over Tony Frost to give Nuthouse a,3-2 lead. 


Dave Avery and Steve Heather won the first two frames of the second set to put Rack Pack into the lead for the first time, 4-3. 


Shane O’Reilly and Danny Kent won the next two frames to tie the set, before Alex Biggs won the decider for the second set running, making the overall score, 6-4. 


Dean Rider and Avery equalised for Rack Pack, but Louis Wilbourne and Trevor Biggs won the next two frames to again tie the set however, they had now won enough frames to win the match overall. 


Rack Pack Captain, Steve Unwin was looking to make amends for missing out on the second set decider, whereas Nuthouse turned to Danny Kent for this one. 


Having won the previous two frames, the momentum was with Nuthouse and Kent took that into the final frame to win it and give his side the, 9-6 triumph. 


This wasn’t enough for Rack Pack to steal the play-off spot, finishing up nine points behind New Stars. 


There were two unbeaten players in this match, one for each side, with both Alex Biggs and Avery winning two frames. 


Sixth played fifth, as Falconwood hosted Fox & Hounds and it was a great result for Falconwood considering they only had four players, getting off to a great start, with Akar Necati and Paul Baker winning the first two frames. 


However, Kerry Wyatt and Glen Ward won the next two frames to tie the set and Fox & Hounds secured the set with the forfeit frame. 


Necati, Baker and Brett Crawley won the first three frames of the second set to take a, 5-3 lead. 


With only four players Falconwood couldn’t whitewash the set and the ninth frame was given to Fox, then Tom Wyatt took the tenth frame to tie the match at five all. 


Necati and Baker secured their hat-tricks to put their team, 7-5 ahead and on the hill.


 Neil Shelton pulled one back for Fox, meaning Falconwood had to win the next frame before the forfeit fifteenth frame, and they did just that, with Colin Howard giving them the, 8-7 triumph. 


This meant that both teams stayed exactly where they were, with five points between them in the table. 


This week’s League Cup saw New Eltham New Boys play Anglesea Arms to decide who would play Sea the Angles in the League Cup final. 


As both teams had previously beaten Farmhouse by the same, 10-5 score line, this match was a winner takes all race to the final, and a close game was on the cards. 


Anglesea Arms got off to the better start, with John Hurd and Sam Mossom both winning to give them a, 2-1 lead. however, Billy Russell equalised, and Michael Barnes won the set decider to give New Boys a, 3-2 lead.


The second set was also close and went exactly the same as the first, with Dave Fulkes taking the first frame to extend New Boys lead, then James Rickner and Edward Green won the next two, to tie the match at four all. 


Anthony Lee performed an impressive cut on the black and Michael Barnes won a tense tenth frame from a near impossible position, to take the set, giving New Boys a, 6-4 lead overall.


For New Boys the third set was all about selecting the right players to get them over the line, and it started well, with Lee completing an impressive brace and Fulkes securing a comfortable hat-trick to make it four frames in a row and give their team an unassailable, 8-4 lead to send New Boys into the League Cup final. 


But they didn’t stop there, with Greg Fothergill and Michael and Melissa Barnes taking the last three frames to make it seven on the spin, giving New Boys what looked like a convincing, 11-4 triumph however, the score didn’t reflect how close the individual frames were.


Michael Barnes joined Fulkes on an unbeaten hat-trick in a masterclass of World Rules pool. 


Many of the frames went down to a final black, so could have gone either way, however New Boys’ tactical play saw them through, but Anglesea can be proud of their achievement. 


New Boys’ team spirit and support was also excellent and helped to pull them through when the match was still tight at four all. 


New Boys will now be attempting the league and League Cup double when they play Sea the Angles in the League Cup final on 19 March at Eltham Terrace. 


For more information on the SLKPA including league tables visit our website at or contact our Secretary, Paul Gafa on 07443 456662 or with any queries.


The league is looking at potential sponsors; any interested parties can also contact Paul Gafa.