A Mark Bitmead double helped Uxbridge move to within three points of the play-off spots with a comfortable 3-0 victory over Chalfont St Peter in the BetVictor Isthmian South Central Division this weekend.

Bitmead scored either side of half-time to secure his side’s second league win in a row, propelling them into contention at the business end of the table in front of a jubilant Honeycroft crowd.

Forward Alex Paine also scored in the first-half to get his side off to a fast start, deflating the abject visitors who are now below Danny Edwards’ side in the table by two points.

Uxbridge were clearly chomping at the bit to get back to league action after a 3-0 midweek home defeat to Ashford Town in Group 8 of the Velocity Trophy as goals from Matthew Surmon, Aaron Petch and Daniel Brown inflicted a blow on their cup hopes.

But it’s in the league where their interests predominantly lie, coming back strongly to give themselves confidence heading into this weekend’s encounter away at struggling Hertford Town.

Hillingdon Borough clinched a crucial 1-0 away victory at Buckingham Athletic to move themselves out of the relegation zone in Division One of the Spartan South Midlands League.

It was an important result for Ciprian Pintilie’s side, who had previously only picked up one win all season and had conceded an alarming 40 goals in their opening 13 games.

But they demonstrated admirable powers of resolve at Stratford Fields, winning courtesy of a Buckingham Athletic second-half own goal that injected some much-needed life into their faltering campaign.

While Hayes and Yeading were without a BetVictor Southern Premier South game this weekend, Liam McDevitt secured them a last-gasp Buildbase FA Trophy first qualifying round win over Wingate & Finchley last Tuesday.

Paul Hughes’ team had previously been held to a 1-1 draw in the first leg at the Maurice Rebak Stadium, contesting the second-leg back on home soil and progressing to the next stage in dramatic circumstances.

The visitors had taken an early lead through Ahmet Rifat after just seven minutes, before Joe Grant restored parity just after the break to keep the tie alive.

And along came McDevitt in the game’s final moments, sending those present into raptures to keep his side’s name in the hat for the second qualifying round draw.

They are now set to face Soham Town Rangers in the next round, with the first leg on Saturday and the second being played out next Wednesday.

But their main attention will be centred towards Sunday, when Karl Robinson’s League One Oxford United come to town in Round One of the Emirates FA Cup proper.

Hughes’ players narrowly edged past Poole in a fourth qualifying round replay last month, teeing up a memorable clash with The U's that will be shown live on BT Sport on Sunday afternoon.