Billy Bricknell scored a late equaliser for Enfield Town to force a replay of their FA Trophy first qualifying round game against Bishop’s Stortford.

Town’s Isthmian League Premier Division counterparts took the lead after 15 minutes through Sharomi Barnwell, but Bricknell ensured his side remained in the competition late on when he finished from Bobson Bawling’s cross.

Bricknell returned to the line-up from injury to partner Muhammadu Faal up front while Scott Thomas also came into the Town line-up.

The visitors looked dominant from the opening exchanges and will have been frustrated at not taking an early lead.

Faal and Ken Charles were both guilty of missing opportunities in a completely dominant period for Town, who had beaten Stortford 5-0 in the league earlier this season.

It was largely against the run of play then when the hosts took the lead on 15 minutes as Ryan Henshaw’s long ball forward was latched onto by Barnwell, and he produced a sublime finish over Nathan McDonald to break the deadlock.

That seemed to perk the home side into life, and they enjoyed far more of the possession and chances after scoring the opener.

Henshaw went close with a header from a corner that went narrowly over the bar, while Jordan Chiedozie headed wide and saw a free-kick excellently tipped over the crossbar by McDonald.

At the other end, Sam Youngs forced Fred Burbidge into a good save on the counter attack, but that was all the visitors could really muster after their strong start fell apart.

Stortford could have doubled their lead right at the start of the second half when Billy Mycroft-Edwards pounced on some indecisive defending to cut inside onto his left foot, but McDonald got down well to save.

Faal had a further effort for Town at the other end as Enfield continued to search for a way back into the game, but his curling strike was tipped over by the diving Burbidge.

From the resulting corner, Glenn Wilson arrived at the back post to try and get to a flick-on, but he was just too late and the ball bounced away to safety.

Faal went close once more for Town before their equaliser finally arrived in the 85th minute.

Bawling turned the Stortford defence inside out before crossing from the left, and Bricknell arrived unmarked in the box to volley home the equaliser right in front of the travelling fans.

If successful in the replay, Town will face either Swindon Supermarine or Thatcham Town at home in the second qualifying round.