A narrow 1-0 win over AFC Rushden and Diamonds saw Enfield Town claim their place in the draw for the second qualifying round of the FA Cup.

Muhammadu Faal scored the decisive goal on 73 minutes with a low finish after a mazy run to see the Towners into the next round.

Enfield were put on the back foot for much of the opening exchanges by their Southern League Premier Central Division opponents. The dangerous Ben Acquaye played the ball through for Nathan Hicks, but his angled effort was well kept out by Nathan McDonald.

The visitors came forward again, but this time it was Nat Gosnal-Tyler who was denied by McDonald when left in a one-v-one situation with the goalkeeper.

Following their slow start to proceedings, Town created their first opportunity on 20 minutes when a neat move involving Sam Youngs, Ken Charles and Billy Bricknell ended with Youngs curling the ball narrowly over the top.

However, it was still Rushden creating the majority of the chances, and Enfield had a narrow escape when a long throw by Sam Brown was flicked on by Ryan Dove, but Joe Payne got back in the nick of time to clear off the line.

Enfield did at least manage to have the final effort of the half when Charles forced a good double save from Ben Heath, but ultimately they were lucky to go into the break level after a dominant display from Rushden.

Rushden continued where they left off in the second half and McDonald was once again called into action to keep Enfield level in the tie.

Both Ryan Blackman and Bricknell had efforts cleared away in response, but the game-changing moment came with the introduction of Faal, who replaced Charles.

Within minutes the substitute almost had an assist as his cross found Blackman on the edge of the box but he had his effort closed down.

Faal then provided the only goal of the game with just 17 minutes to go. After receiving the ball from Blackman, he began a trademark mazy run that ended with him striking low past the outstretched fingers of Heath to finally break the deadlock.

It could have been two almost straight away for Town, but following good build-up from Joe Payne and Lewis Taaffe, Blackman fired narrowly over from an excellent position in the box.

Rushden almost forced a replay in the dying minutes but were once again left frustrated by McDonald, who pulled of two outstanding point-blank saves to keep them at bay.

Next up for Town is a return to Isthmian League Premier Division action as they host Corinthian Casuals this Saturday at 3pm.