Harlow Town recorded their second successive win in the Isthmian League South Central Division courtesy of a 2-1 success away at Staines Town.

Christian Adu Gyamfi put the Hawks ahead after just four minutes and their lead was doubled by Terrell Egbri from the penalty spot after half-time.

Klajidi Cani pulled one back for Staines, but Harlow held on to retain their position of fifth in the table.

A dream start for Harlow saw them take the lead with less than five minutes on the clock. Egbri swung in a free-kick from the left which was headed on by Tayo Oyebola, and Gyamfi latched onto the flick to bundle the ball home.

Harlow kept up the pressure with a string of corners to keep the hosts on their toes, but Staines defended well to keep the deficit at just one.

As Harlow’s pressure eased off, the game largely became a midfield battle as both sides cancelled each other out, with no real clear-cut chances for either side.

The closest Staines came to an equaliser in the opening period was when Che Krabbendam received a short corner and was given far too much space to shoot from the edge of the area, but Sam Evans got in the way of the effort to divert it clear.

After returning for the second half, Harlow found themselves two to the good as quickly as they had taken the lead in the first period.

Oyebola went on a mazy run into the area and was brought down, and Egbri left the goalkeeper with no chance from the penalty spot to double the Hawks’ advantage.

Staines seemed to be kicked into life after the second goal and they finally managed to test Josh Bexon straight after the goal, but he comfortably dealt with two efforts to preserve Harlow’s lead.

Dara Dada-Anite was the next to go close for Staines as he burst through, but Oliver Gnandi produced an excellent sliding tackle to dispossess the forward right as he was about to shoot.

Finally, Staines’ pressure paid off as they got on the scoresheet in the 71st minute. Mahrez Bettache threaded a perfect through ball for substitute Cani and he slotted underneath Bexon to make it a nervy final 19 minutes for Harlow.

Gnandi produced another goal-saving challenge to deny Cani what would have been his second and although Staines had a good final push, they almost allowed Harlow to put the game to bed when Amar Lewis cut back for Egbri, but his curling shot went over.

A disciplined final few minutes from the Harlow defence managed to see out the win, and they remain fifth in the table.

Next up for the Hawks is their FA Cup preliminary round replay away at Brentwood Town, which takes place tomorrow at 7.45pm.