Enfield Town continued their positive start to the season with a narrow 1-0 win away at Bowers & Pitsea in the Isthmian League Premier Division.

Billy Bricknell’s first-half penalty was all that separated the two sides in a closely-fought contest, ensuring Enfield keep pace with the early leaders in the division.

Glenn Wilson was restored at central defence for the Towners, which resulted in Jon Muleba moving to right-back, while Bricknell had Mo Faal as his partner up front in place of Ken Charles.

Bowers made the more positive start to the game, showing good attacking intent through David Knight. He was played in by a long ball over the top with only Nathan McDonald to beat, but the keeper was untroubled by the eventually tame effort.

Knight had another opportunity to break the deadlock on 14 minutes when he got on the end of max Cornhill’s flick-on, but his effort flew just inches wide of the post.

Bricknell failed to trouble the goalkeeper with Enfield’s first real chance of the game as Bowers continued to land all of the blows, but out of nowhere the visitors were awarded a penalty when a neat one-two between Bricknell and Faal resulted in the former being needlessly impeded in the Bowers penalty area.

Bricknell stepped up and calmly converted to the right of Callum Chafer to give Town the lead.

Enfield were now in the ascendency as they looked to build on their lead, but a second goal was not forthcoming in the first half. Sam Youngs, making his 100th appearance for the club, came the closest, but he curled a left-footed effort wide.

A similar story to the first half ensued in the second, although Bowers were perhaps less dominant in the beginning than they had been in the first period.

Lewis Taaffe had two chances to extend the lead but was thwarted on both occasions. Firstly, a sweetly-struck free-kick bounced off the top of the Bowers crossbar, and Chafer then did well to deny him after an excellent through-ball from Youngs.

Despite Enfield’s domination in terms of chances in the second half, Bowers sent a warning that they were still in the game when Quentin Monville sent an effort towards the top corner, but McDonald got across to make an excellent save, tipping over with his right hand.

Bowers staged a late attempt to rescue a point with a double substitution, and they almost did it when Enfield struggled to clear a corner, but after an almighty scramble, McDonald managed to get the ball in his clutches to see out the danger.

Next up for Enfield is their FA Cup first round qualifying tie at home to AFC Rushden and Diamonds this Saturday, kicking off at 3pm.