West Essex secured their first win of the season in the Essex Senior League as they ran out 3-1 winners away at Woodford Town on Friday night.

Symeon Taylor put West in front in the first half before Woodford came back through Sharn Quinn. However, late goals from Hakin Medfai and Bradley Russell secured all three points for the visitors.

The opening goal came six minutes before half-time as Russell advanced forward from midfield to slide in Taylor. He took a touch to get back onto his right foot and then slotted coolly past the goalkeeper to give his side the lead.

Woodford’s leveller came 11 minutes after the restart and it was well worth the wait. West Essex’s defence back off further and further, allowing Quinn the time and space to fire into the top corner from distance and make it 1-1.

Despite near constant pressure from the hosts, West restored their lead on 70 minutes when they won possession back high up the field, and Russell crossed for Medfai to fire into the bottom corner.

Not to be outdone by his teammates, Russell got on the scoresheet himself late on to seal it, blasting into the bottom corner after being threaded through.

On Saturday, Walthamstow moved up to fourth in the table despite playing just two games after a 1-0 win over Stansted.

Dwade James scored the only goal of the game for Stow midway through the second half as Callum Ibe, who signed from their opponents Stansted earlier in the week, fed the striker through, and after regaining his balance, James poked over the diving goalkeeper to secure all three points.

It’s been a mixed start to the season for Redbridge with two wins and two losses, and their second loss came at the weekend as they were beaten 2-0 at home to Hashtag United.

George Smith scored both goals for the away side shortly after coming on as a substitute, pushing them up to seventh in the table.

A goalless first half saw plenty of chances at both ends, and each side will feel frustrated that they weren’t able to take an advantage into the break.

Smith entered the game in the 54th minute as a replacement for Neil Richmond, and his impact was almost immediate.

After six minutes on the field, he opened the scoring when Hashtag put the Redbridge defence under pressure in their own area, forcing them to concede possession, and as the ball bobbled up, Smith was there to volley underneath the keeper.

His second came just five minutes later, pouncing on a poor error from the Redbridge keeper who dropped a free-kick right at his feet, which sealed the points.

Finally, Ilford remain without a win so far this season following a 3-0 defeat at home to Hoddesdon Town.

The hosts held out in the first half with no damage done, but Hoddesdon came alive in the second period, taking the lead through Connor Scully on 62 minutes.

Scully then doubled his and Hoddesdon’s tally with 10 minutes to go to effectively win the match, but Blue Gallagher added a third five minutes later just to make sure, leaving Ilford third from bottom.