Enfield Town suffered a heavy home defeat in their Isthmian League Premier Division match against Horsham, losing 4-1.

Chris Smith gave Horsham the lead just before the break only for Ken Charles to equalise soon after the re-start. However, Smith grabbed his second after Rob O’Toole had put the visitors back in front, and a late drive from Zak Newton added some gloss to the scoreline for Horsham and dented Town’s start to the season.

Town made two changes from last week’s trashing of Bishops Stortford as Nathan Livings replaced James Potton and Lewis Taaffe, who injured himself in the warm-up, dropped out for Junior Mubiayi.

The hosts started well and forced Horsham keeper George Bentley into a good early save, tipping over an effort from Sam Youngs after neat build-up play.

Billy Bricknell also came close to opening the scoring with a wonderful overhead kick, but fortunately for the visitors it flashed narrowly wide.

Horsham had chances of their own, though. Chris Smith struck right at Nathan McDonald on a counter-attack, but he didn’t make the same mistake twice and fired the away side into the lead when McDonald could only parry Lea Dawson’s effort into his path.

Enfield regrouped at half-time and found their equaliser within nine minutes of the restart. Jon Muleba had the time and space to swing in a cross from the right, and Charles was there to head in his fourth goal in three games.

Bricknell wasted a glorious opportunity to put Town in front when he headed wide of the target, and it came back to bite the side as Horsham restored their lead when O’Toole turned his marker on the edge of the area and left McDonald with no chance with a powerful effort.

A further lack on concentration proved to be Enfield’s undoing and Horsham put the game beyond any reasonable doubt with 20 minutes left. Keiran Lavery’s free-kick was parried by McDonald, and Smith was there again to pounce and get his second of the day.

The third goal killed Enfield’s fight and that allowed Horsham to take advantage. They added a fourth late on to rub salt into the wounds as Newton drove from midfield and fired past McDonald, sealing a miserable day for Town.

The hosts will need to get back on track quickly with two games in quick succession this bank holiday weekend. They travel to Leatherhead on Saturday before hosting the derby against Potters Bar on Monday.