Enfield Town moved up to sixth in the Bostik League Premier Division with a 3-1 home win against struggling Burgess Hill Town.

Marc Weatherstone, Aaron Greene and Sam Chaney were all unavailable for the visitors while Dan Rumens returned to partner Sam Hatton at the heart of the defence while Joe Wright returned in goal and new signing James Mulley made his debut in midfield.

The visitors made the brighter start to the game, with Jaren Rance shooting wide from 25-yards before he also had a 13th-minute free-kick cleared away by the town defence.

Hill continued to look like the more likely team to break the deadlock and they wasted a glorious opportunity just over 20 minutes in when Wright dropped the ball straight at the feet of Jack Malleret, but the striker dragged his effort wide.

Town slowly began to gain a foothold in the game and, just before the half hour mark, Youngs’ corner was flicked on in the crowded area and Karl Oliyide was there to tap home and give the hosts the lead.

That lead, though, lasted barely a few minutes as Aaron Smith-Joseph’s delivery from the left found the unmarked Rance at the back post to strike past Wright and level the game.

Enfield then thought they had gone ahead once again just before the break, but Billy Bricknell’s strike was ruled out for offside.

The home side started the second period much better than they had the first, going close when Hatton got on the end of Matt Johnson’s long throw, but his effort was held by Josh James.

Only four minutes into the half, Enfield’s lead was restored when Youngs’ corner from the right was headed back across the box by Rumens, and Bricknell was there to apply the finishing touch.

A third goal almost came straight after Mulley got on the end of a Youngs cross, but the former Maidenhead man’s effort was straight at James.

The next goal soon arrived, though, and it gave Town the breathing space they required. Johnson picked up the ball in midfield after the visitors failed to clear and he picked out Bricknell with a superb pass, who took a touch before finishing for his second of the afternoon.

Town were really going for it now, and Bilal Sayoud came close was James was equal to his 20-yard drive, and Bricknell came close to his hat-trick when he flashed a left-footed effort just wide.

Three goals were enough, though, and Enfield recorded a comfortable victory ahead of their Velocity Trophy semi-final against Bishop’s Stortford tonight at the QEII.