Waltham Abbey’s FA Cup adventure has continued after the Abbots beat Barkingside 3-1 to reach the second qualifying round of the competition – and they followed it up with a league victory over the same opposition and by an identical scoreline three days later.

A comfortable win at Capershotts on Saturday secured Abbey’s progress in the world’s oldest knock-out competition and set up a home tie against either Sileby Rangers or North Greenford United on the weekend of September 27/28.

Hosts Abbey took the lead after 19 minutes when Joe Kizzi and Jason Hallett combined well to find James Peagram with a ball over the top. Peagram latched onto Hallet’s flick before finishing with ease.

Hallett was again involved when the Abbots netted their second, picking out Darelle Russell to place low under the visiting goalkeeper.

The third also came via Hallett, who crossed low from the left-hand side for John Docker to convert, completing a hat-trick of assists.

With three minutes remaining, Chris Taylor pulled one back when slipped in by captain Matt Gulfer.

Barkingside finished with ten men when Joe Ellul was dismissed for a second booking in the dying moments.

The two sides met again in Ryman Division One North action on Tuesday and once again the home side prevailed by a 3-1 victory margin.

Abbey have a trip to Wroxham on Saturday in the league.

Redbridge hosted Ware in Ryman North on Tuesday but they had to settle for a goalless draw following a 20-minute delay due to a floodlight failure.

The Motormen are away to Tilbury on Saturday.

In the Essex Senior League, Waltham Forest threw away a 2-0 lead to draw 3-3 with Sawbridgeworth Town on Saturday.

Forest have now seen 23 goals scored in their six league games so far and found themselves 2-0 up at half-time thanks to Solomon Ofori’s brace.

Ofori opened the scoring after three minutes, doubling the hosts’ advantage when he tucked home Jose Agua’s cross.

Sawbridgeworth got one back from the penalty spot but Neil Thompson scored to put Forest 3-1 up almost immediately.

However, the home side were unable to hold on and Gavin Cockman halved the deficit before Town equalised with a 98th-minute penalty from Cockman.