This weekend Crystal Palace travel to Liverpool in the Premier League, just under 10 years since one of the most memorable games in the league’s history, back in the 2013/14 season.

On a warm night in early May in south London, a Liverpool team featuring the likes of Steven Gerrard, Daniel Sturridge and Luis Suarez went to Selhurst Park with the ambition to win and put pressure on Manchester City in the title race.

Liverpool went into the game on 80 points after 36 games, which saw them level with Manchester City, however City had a much better goal difference.

Palace sat in a respectable 11th place on 43 points, in their first season back in the top-flight since the 2004/05 season.

The match

It only took 18 minutes for title-chasing Liverpool to take the lead at Selhurst Park, when Joe Allen found himself free from an in-swinging Gerrard corner to head home and give the away side an early lead.

Liverpool could not break a solid Palace side down for the rest of the first half, however they scored twice in the opening ten minutes of the second half.

The first was a deflected effort by Sturridge, which slowly rolled into the back of the net, before a one-two between Sterling and Suarez saw the latter find space inside the box and make it 3-0 to Liverpool.

The Reds smelt blood, and after they scored the third, Suarez even went to collect the ball, as they saw this as an opportunity to cut down the nine-goal gap in goal difference to Manchester City, which was already down to six after 55 minutes.

However, what was to come was not part of the script.



The game looked to be petering out, before Damien Delaney picked up the ball on the edge of the Liverpool box in the 79th minute, unleashing a left footed strike which deflected past Simon Mignolet and into the top corner to give the hosts a goal back.

Just two minutes later, Liverpool’s lead was down to one.

Yannick Bolasie found space down the left-hand side and was allowed to dribble into the penalty area, where he found Dwight Gayle, whose first-time finish found its way into the bottom corner.

All of a sudden rather than thinking about bettering their goal difference they were desperately clinging onto their lead.

In the 88th minute, what is today known as ‘Crystanbul’ was complete.

Scott Dann floated a ball forward which Glenn Murray flicked with his chest onto Dwight Gayle who, scored with another first time finish to equalise for Crystal Palace.

After the match, Liverpool players were visibly distraught, however, for Crystal Palace, the day was one of their best since their return to the Premier League and one that fans will never forget.