Crystal Palace may have three games left this season, but this time 14 years ago they were gearing up for a match that could have spelled disastrous consequences for the club. 

Palace faced Sheffield Wednesday in what was effectively a Championship relegation play-off, knowing that if Wednesday won, Palace would drop to the third tier.

January 2010 saw The Eagles deducted 10 points for entering administration, plummeting the Eagles from fighting for the play-offs to relegation trouble, from 9th to 21st.

Palace struggled to continue their form from the first half of the season, and could not pull away from the relegation zone.

On May 2 the final game of the season saw them travel to Hillsborough,.

Wednesday were two points behind the Eagles and had to win to stay in the Championship, while Palace knew that the draw would keep them safe.

But for Palace, a group of players and staff who had not been paid for months and who were unaware of what would happen beyond the season, had to pull together to save the club.

Palace dominated the first half and had chances to give take the lead and in the 24th minute they broke the deadlock. A Darren Ambrose corner found Alan Lee, who powered a header into the back of the net.

Wednesday equalised before the break, when attacker Leon Clarke stole the ball from Palace’s Danny Butterfield, before bending a strike past Palace keeper Julian Speroni, to make it 1-1 going into half time.

Wednesday knew they needed to win the game, and pushed to take the lead in the second half.


Wednesday had chances to take the lead, while Palace were holding on for dear life.

Then came the important moment that Palace needed. Sean Scannell found Ambrose just inside the box and his first time shot found its way past the goalkeeper and gave Palace the second goal they needed to settle the nerves of the 6,000 fans in the stadium and the rest watching at home.

But Wednesday made sure there would be a grandstand finish when Darren Purse found space from a long throw into the box and equalised for the hosts.

Palace nearly sealed their safety moments later when Stern John's shot was saved by the goalkeeper onto the inside of the post, before being cleared off the line.

But The Eagles held on and survived, sending Wednesday down in the process. It may not have been their best performance, but it will stick with Palace fans as one of the club's most memorable moments.