Lack-lustre Welling United stumbled to their fourth consecutive league and cup defeat when coming up against mid-table Eastbourne Borough.

Their defence has been the bedrock of their home successes this season but they had a collective off day allowing the visitors to get in behind time and again.

Less than a minute had passed when Maxwell Statham was cautioned for bringing down Joel Rollinson after he had got the wrong side of him. James Hammond took the free kick but curled it just over.

Kristian Campbell met Joe Muscatt’s corner on the volley that flew wide but that proved to be Welling’s only real chance of the first half as Welling’s defence was breached time and again. Goalkeeper Jack Sims had to be out quickly when Charley Kendall broke through before the angle was against Rollinson after he was again given too much space.

Rollinson got through again but Statham got back to make the block then it was Kendall who was given a sight of goal but Bradley Pearce recovered to get in the way of the shot.

Aaron Barnes was adjudged to have fouled Charlie Walker in the penalty area but even from the penalty spot, Kendall couldn’t beat Jack Sims who went the right way to save following up on his penalty save seven days earlier.

Having somehow got into the break level, Welling did see a little more of the ball in the second period and Campbell had a shot blocked wide early on. However, they were unable to create much and were still susceptible to Eastbourne breaks.

Jack Currie went on a long run from the back unchallenged and let fly from just outside the penalty area but Sims made another good save turning it around for a corner and it came as no surprise when the Sports finally broke the dead-lock. Once again, Welling were caught short on the break and Kendall surged down the right wing before cutting in and finishing brilliantly.

Muscatt, Welling’s liveliest attacking player, went narrowly wide before the Wings had a strong penalty shout for handball turned away.

Walker headed wide from Rollinson’s cross before Welling tested Lee Worgan for the first time with under twenty minutes remaining. Debutant Tom Derry showed what he could do if given the service with a header across goal but Danny Parish, who had just come on, could not get enough power on his header towards the bottom corner and Worgan got down well to turn it around the post.

Dipo Akinyemi came on as a late replacement for Statham for his first appearance since his injury, and almost made a dream start but hooked just wide and as Welling searched for the equaliser they got caught in the final minute when Kendall sent it across the six yard box unselfishly for Dominic Hutchinson to tuck in at the far post.

Welling United: Sims, Barnes (Parish 69), Campbell, Statham (Akinyemi 80), Pearce, Penney, Muscatt, Durojaiye, Derry, Stevenson (Saunders-Henry 62), Shokunbi. Subs not used: Ezennolim, Drais.