Cray Wanderers advanced to the 2nd Round of the FA Trophy for the second successive season after an exciting and dramatic finale to the Wands 50th FA Trophy tie which saw Adam Coombes score twice in the last 11 minutes including a 90th minute winner after Bedfont had pulled level through skipper Joe Jackson.

On a mild but grey afternoon, Cray began the game moving the ball around well but it was Bedfont who carved out the first real shooting opportunity in the 11th minute when top scorer Darryl Sanders down the left cut inside and fired over the bar from the edge of the area. A minute later Cray looked to open the scoring with the hard working Jai Reason firing wide from outside the area.

The best moment of the first half came in the 19th minute when good link up play between Tom Hanfrey and Chris Dickson saw Adam Coombes play a return pass to Dickson down the left of the area and his cross-shot was pushed wide of the right post by the finger tips of keeper Dimitrious Kyriatzis. In the 25th minute, Dickson made a strong run forward and his shot from outside the area was safely held by Kyriatzis.  Shortly after Reason set up Dickson for another shot which required the keeper to save and then was unlucky not to get his head to a fine ball in from the right by Freddy Barton and the ball flashed just wide.

The second half saw Bedfont much more prominent in attack as both teams chased avoiding a penalty shoot-out. Cray though did have the first shooting chance of the half when Barton found Coombes who strode forward and his shot was well held by Kyriatzis.

Bedfont had a chance to go ahead when Sanders ball across from the right into the area found Lewis Flatman who was denied by a good block from Beckwith for a corner. From the corner the ball came to Sanders who fired wide. 

Cray were not finding it as easy to get their passing game going and Bedfont came close when substitute Charlie Postance shot over on the turn. Then there was a bit of a let off when down the left, Sanders curled a shot inches past the right post. This was followed by a good run from Lewis Pegg which saw the ball played to Joe Jackson who shot over from the edge of the area.  Then Cray looked to break the deadlock as Coombes on the turn fired in a shot from just outside the box which was gathered by Kyriatzis.

In the 79th minute the game exploded into life as down the left, from Jack Turner’s ball out to Coombes, the striker found Reason who then played in Dickson whose ball across fell invitingly to Coombes who from 12 yards hit a crisp half volley which flew into the bottom right corner.

From here it seemed Cray had finally taken a grip but Bedfont showed good character to pull level three minutes later when Ricardo Andre down the left who whipped over a terrific cross into the area which Jackson who scored in the only other previous meeting between the sides deftly nudged the ball into the net from 7 yards and it appeared to be penalties once again.

With four minutes of injury time shown, there was a twist to the captivating plot and a ball forward sought out the forever busy and running Dickson and Kyriatzis did well to punch the ball clear but fell out to Coombes who from distance struck an incredible shot which crashed high into the top right corner to proverbially bring the roof off Hayes Lane.

It had been a tough test against a side in form and Danny Kedwell's team left it late but had produced one of their finest performances of the season to advance to the 2nd Round draw on Monday. Cray's next league game will be on Saturday 20th November at Kingstonian. 


Cray Wanderers:       Jack Turner, Freddy Barton, Dean Beckwith (Capt.), Richie Danquah, Tom Hanfrey, Andy Drury, Jack Hanson (Anthony Cook, 60), Jai Reason, Daniel Uchechi (Jamie Yila, 81), Adam Coombes (Cameron Brodie, 90+2), Chris Dickson. Subs: Kasim Aidoo, Fjord Rogers, Richard Afrane-Kesey    

Att: 163