It was another tough afternoon for Welling United when they were well beaten by Dartford.

Although most of the players couldn’t be faulted for effort, they were unable to get a grip of midfield and had to repel wave after wave of Dartford attacks.

Any plans of keeping it tight early on were scuppered when they went behind with less than a minute on the clock. Luke Allen’s cross was only half cleared and Noor Husin smashed it home from close range.

Ade Azeez had a near post shot saved by Tom Smith then Dan Roberts headed wide from a Danny Leonard cross. Leonard then made an important intervention at the other end when clearing off the line from Dipo Akinyemi after Ben Allen’s free kick caused some panic in the Dartford area.

Azeez cut in but shot wide of the near post before he doubled Dartford’s lead midway through the first half. It started from a poor Welling throw in, Dartford broke quickly and Roberts crossed low for Azeez to finish.

Roles were then reversed as Azeez became creator but Roberts shot wide then Azeez spun and volleyed but it flew over. Superb skills by Husin created space for Jernade Meade and he delivered a great cross but Allen side footed over from close range.

Akinyemi had a shot saved by Dan Wilks after extraordinary skills by Aaron Barnes saw him go past four Dartford players but it was Dartford who scored again with half time approaching. Smith made a great save from Allen but Leonard followed up to slot home.

Wilks saved a header from Akinyemi from Ben Allen’s corner before Roberts had a shot saved by Smith at the other end.

After the break, Welling tried to get back into the game and won a couple of corners however nothing came of them and they conceded again five minutes into the second half. Husin found Roberts and he found Allen who guided it home.

Three minutes later, it became five when Smith could only push out Roberts’ cross shot and Allen tucked it home. Azeez had a header saved by Smith then Connor Essam headed over. Meade cut in but his shot was saved by Smith but he was beaten again with twenty minutes remaining. Allen put in a low free kick and Azeez finished with a close range tap in.

Meade had a long shot saved and Husin couldn’t finish after being played in by George Porter, but there was no further scoring.

Caretaker manager Mark Goldberg will have his work cut out to lift his team ahead of next Saturday’s game at Oxford City.

Welling United: Smith, Barnes, O’Keefe (Assidjo 10 (Krabbendam 46), Durojaiye, Pepe, Perkins, Shokunbi, Stevenson (Saunders-Henry 87), Akinyemi, Allen, Campbell. Subs not used: Ezennolim, Hinds.