Passionless Welling United stumbled out of the F.A. Cup against Harrow Borough.

Although Steve Lovell was missing three centre backs, that was no excuse for their lack of punch at the other end.

Their missing cutting edge showed in the first couple of minutes. Ben Allen chipped in a cross that was begging a tap in at the far post but Dipo Akinyemi was unable to get there to finish

However, Harrow also looked dangerous in their first meaningful attack and after James Ewington had held it up well he found Dernell Wynter who chose not to hit it first time but instead came back onto his left foot and fired over.

Charley O’Keefe overdid the playing out from the back and was tackled just outside his own penalty area but Tom Smith was out quickly to smother at Frank Keita's feet before Welling created an opening when Chi Ezennolim hit a brilliant long cross-field pass that picked out Kristian Campbell and his first touch took him past his marker. He pulled it back to Akinyemi but he fired well over.

Lewis Cole then came close to opening the scoring for Harrow when he got in behind the back four but Smith made a great save. It came back out to him however Aaron Barnes got back to make a superb block.

Cole was not to be denied, though, and in first half injury time he was slipped in down the left hand side and he slotted home from a tight angle.

Steve Lovell made a double change at the break but it didn’t make a positive difference and the visitors twice went close in the early exchanges. James Taylor was just off target with a header from Ewington’s cross then Wynter shot narrowly wide of the post.

Akinyemi headed over from Che Krabbendam’s corner before Shaun Preddie rose unopposed from a Leo Donnellan free kick but couldn’t keep his header down. Bradley Stevenson dragged a shot just wide before Harrow scored the crucial second. Ewington was played through the middle and he made no mistake with a cool finish.

Ade Shokunbi fired a shot high and wide enough to hit a bus at the stop outside the ground but Joseph Otudeko came close to making it three, only to be thwarted by a save by Smith.

Otudeko again came close with a shot just wide before Kaylen Hinds glanced a header past the post from a Campbell cross at the other end.

Donnellan had the last chance with a free kick that went well over but he was not too concerned as he was soon celebrating with his team at being in the hat for the third qualifying round.

Welling United: Smith, Barnes, Ezennolim (Hinds 74), Durojaiye, O’Keefe (Pepe 46), Shokunbi, Krabbendam, Stevenson, Akinyemi, Allen (Sinclair 46), Campbell. Subs not used: Ilic, Saunders-Henry, Brown, Richards.