Cray Wanderers winning start to the season came to an end as Worthing edged a lively and keenly contested encounter at Hayes Lane.  In a match pitting 3rd vs 7th both teams came into the game buoyed by big wins last Saturday and Worthing took the points courtesy of Dashonne Golding’s composed finish in the 73rd minute. 

Worthing went in front in the 15th minute when Tom Chalaye down the left cut into the area and drilled a shot into the bottom corner.  Cray though hung in the game and drew level ten minutes before the break when Ejiro Okosieme scored his second of the season turning  the ball home after Fjord Rogers’s effort was blocked.

On muggy afternoon the visitors perhaps just shaded the first few minutes but it was Cray who had the first shooting opportunity when Charlie Allen was fouled just outside the area and Anthony Cook curled a free kick over the top.  Then after a corner was won down the right, the ball played into the area reached the far post where Cook volleyed over the top. Then from another corner, Fjord Rogers just glanced a header off target.

Worthing though made the first breakthrough in the 15th minute when Luca Coccorrachio down the left played a good ball down the flank to Chalaye who showed good pace to cut into the box and drill the ball across Jack Turner and into the bottom right corner.

Then it was almost two nil but would have been fortuitous as Jasper Pattenden’s ball into the area was deflected off Beckwith and came back off his own crossbar and away from danger.  Then shortly after Chalaye tested Turner with a shot from 20 yards.

Cray though were never out of the game and had a good five minutes and drew level on 35 minutes when Andy Drury played a free kick out on the right into the box towards the far post where Rogers initial effort was blocked with appeals for a handball but following up Okosieme was on hand to stab the ball past Harrison Male to make it 1-1.

Cray started the second half well and came close to scoring when Harvey Brand’s right wing cross was headed just wide of the left post by Rogers.

The game was much more even in the early stages of the second half although Danny Barker let fly for Worthing from distance which went just over the bar.

Worthing though came close to going back in front when down the left Ollie Pearce’s cross to the far post was helped on by Golding and on the volley Pattenden’s shot was pushed over brilliantly by Turner.

The next goal in the game looked to be key in context of the game and Worthing restored their lead when Pearce played a fine ball through to Golding down the left of the area and clipped a fine finish wide of Turner and into the net for a quality piece of composed finishing.

Cray though showed good character in the last quarter of an hour and Cook down the left worked the ball across to Brodie who hit a sweet strike from almost 25 yards out which only just skimmed the angle of crossbar and right post. 

Pearce who was a constant threat up front hit a shot which just went over the top while for Cray, Brodie again tried his luck from distance but his shot was charged down while at the other end Mo Diallo had an effort blocked by Freddie Cray.

Once again, Pearce shot wide for Worthing but Cray looking to level in the 88th minute Sadik Balarabe set up Brand down the right and his first time shot was well held by Male.

Towards the end, Worthing almost grabbed a third but Shaquille Gwengue down the right fired wide with a near post effort while Cray had the last chance in stoppage time as Cook found Nuur who cut inside from the right and his shot was deflected past the left post for a corner but despite a decent effort from Cray couldn’t find the goal needed to grab a draw and a well drilled and clever Worthing side.

The Wands next look to bounce back straight away on Bank Holiday Monday with a visit to unbeaten Margate, 3pm.