Charlton’s ‘new era’ started in disappointing fashion as their injury ravaged side were downed 3-1 by Sheffield Wednesday at The Valley.

Steven Fletcher’s brace and Atdhe Nuhiu’s late header dampened the Addick’s buoyent mood a day after the long-awaited news of a club takeover.

Macauley Bonne's first half strike drew the side, who named only five players on the bench, level after Fletcher opened the scoring before going on to convert a late penalty after Erhun Oztumer fouled Jacob Murphy on 80minutes.

Nuhiu made the game safe in injury time as Charlton went searching in vain for an equaliser.

Early Start

The visitors thought they’d taken the lead inside five minutes, but Atdhe Niuhiu’s celebrations were cut short after his neat header from a free-kick was ruled out for off-side.

The celebrations were only on hold for 15minutes however as an alert Fletcher got in front of Naby Sarr to glance Barry Bannan’s fine cross past a diving Dillon Phillips.

The visitors will be wondering how they didn’t double their lead five minutes later through Fernando Forestieri, who from two yards out blazed high over the bar after Phillips parried Fletcher’s header into the winger’s path.

Charlton punished the miss and within second they went down the other end and restored parity.

Alfie Doughty, in his first league start for the Addicks cut a ball back from the left to fins Bonne who’s deflected effort wrongfooted Cameron Dawson between the sticks.

Second Half

Phillips was called into action either side of the break as he thwarted Bannan on two occasions as the visitors looked to be seizing control of the tie.

Bowyer’s men sank deeper and deeper after the break as Garry Monk’s men put pressure on.

But it was through their own sloppiness they nearly fell behind as Kadeem Harris pounced on a sloppy Deji Oshilaja pass only to be denied by a fine stop by Phillips who parried wide.

As it seemed Charlton had weathered the storm, Wednesday were awarded a penalty with ten minutes to go, and they don’t get more clear-cut as Erhun Oztumer up-ended Jacob Murphy after venturing into the box.

Making no mistakes from 12-yards, Fletcher sent Phillips the wrong way before celebrating infront of the 2,000 visiting fans.

Charlton spent the last ten minutes looking for an equaliser but saw Oshilaja and Jonathan Leko efforts soundly blocked.

As they marauded forward they were caught on the break and Nuhiu had the simplest task of heading home from five yards from Flethcer’s cross.

Defeat leaves Lee Bowyer with no win in seven, and 17th before Saturday’s remaining fixtures.



Charlton: Phillips, Matthews, Oshilaja, Lockyer, Sarr, Doughty, Morgan (Vennings 60’), Pratley, Oztumer(Davison 80’), Leko, Bonne SUBS: Harkness, Pearce, Solly, Davison, Vennings

Sheffield Wednesday: Dawson, Odubajo, Hutchinson(Luongo 76’), Iorfa, Fox, Lees, Harris(Reach 80’), Forestieri(Murphy), Bannan, Nuhiu, Fletcher SUBS:Jones, Lee, Pelupessy, Winnall, Murphy, Reach, Luongo


Referee: Tim Robinson