Lewis Page and Chuks Aneke were both forced off through injury as Charlton went down to Gillingham in Jonny Williams' return to the club.

The former Crystal Palace midfielder was introduced moments after Stuart O'Keefe opened the scoring for the hosts.

Aneke grabbed the equaliser shortly before half-time but Mikael Ndjoli replenished the Gills' lead before substitute Elliott List put the game to bed.

Charlton, who thrashed Dagenham and Redbridge 4-0 in midweek after losing to Ebbsfleet United just 24 hours earlier, travel to Colchester United on Tuesday night.

Williams was named on the bench for the Gillingham trip after returning to The Valley on a one-year deal. Former Addick Callum Harriott, who is training with the club, did not feature at all.

With windy conditions at the Priestfield Stadium playing their own part, Charlton faced significant setbacks early in the game.

After Page went down with an injury, O’Keefe fired Gillingham into the lead on 12 minutes with a low, driven effort.

The injury forced Bowyer into handing Williams, who helped the Addicks win promotion to the Championship at Wembley Stadium just months earlier, an earlier-than-expected introduction.

But whilst the Wales international’s impact was instantly felt, Gillingham took the game to the visitors and came close to doubling their lead at times.

Barry Fuller brilliantly denied Macauley Bonne in his own box before delivering a tantalising cross into the opposition’s area soon afterwards.

Dangerous crosses from Brandon Hanlan, a former Addick, and Nathan Thomas further demonstrated the hosts’ intent to keep the pressure on.

Charlton would get back on level terms eventually when Naby Sarr stung the post with a powerful free-kick before Chuks Aneke smashed home on 42 minutes.

Bowyer resisted making half-time changes but his team fell behind again. Ndjoli swept home on 48 minutes thanks to Hanlan’s deft through pass.

And things went from bad to worse as Aneke’s injury forced him to be taken off for George Lapslie as the hour mark approached.

After Williams and Taylor were both replaced with Ben Dempsey and Alfie Doughty respectively, the Addicks had to fend off threats brought on by susbtitutes Darren Oldaker and Mark Byrne.

But the crushing blow arrived on 89 minutes when a Tom Lockyer pass was picked off and enabled List to rumble through and grab the third.