Charlton are headed to the League One playoff final after they defeated Doncaster Rovers on penalties to book their place at Wembley Stadium.

Despite Naby Sarr missing the spot-kick which would have sent them through, Tommy Rowe blasted the decisive penalty wide of the target.

Charlton fans stormed the pitch in celebration of their team’s victory, with Sunderland now standing between them and Championship football next season.

Jonny Williams made the bench, and Igor Vetokele missed out, as boss Lee Bowyer selected an unchanged starting 11 for Doncaster’s visit to The Valley.

Backed by a rapturous home crowd Charlton began the second leg with conviction, and soon enough they would ride the momentum to an opening goal.

Krystian Bielik rose highest to head home Albie Morgan’s cross, the Arsenal loanee’s fifth strike this season, as Doncaster were left stunned by the fast start after just a minute.

But after Morgan’s shot ruffled the side-netting, and Anfernee Dijksteel tested goalkeeper Marko Marosi from distance, the visitors hit back.

A sloppy piece of defending allowed Herbie Kane to release through Rowe with a superb flick-on, which the midfielder lashed home on nine minutes.

And it could have quickly gone from bad to worse when John Marquis capitalised on Sarr’s missed interception to force a strong save out of shot stopper Dillon Phillips.

While Charlton had the support of a sell-out crowd behind them, they seemed to be affected by the occasion as Doncaster tried to take advantage of their passivity and nerves.

Goalscorer Bielik lost his cool with Josh Parker after Rovers easily picked off his pass, and the fans groaned when the Addicks needlessly lost possession.

Doncaster would panic Charlton’s defence again, through Ben Whiteman and Danny Andrew, before Josh Cullen’s effort in the box was denied by a last-ditch block.

After a nervy half, Bowyer replaced Morgan with the experienced Darren Pratley and switched from a 4-1-2-1-2 into a 5-3-2 system.

Charlton did look more settled in a very scrappy second half, as goalkeeper Marosi spilled Parker’s shot before Joe Aribo’s teasing delivery into the box forced Andrew to clear.

The 76th minute perhaps saw one of their best chances when Parker narrowly missed the target, yards away from goal, after getting on the end of Lyle Taylor’s driven cross.

But Doncaster would get level on aggregate when Butler headed home Ali Crawford’s corner delivery on 87 minutes sending the away fans into delirium.

And Marquis could have sent them into the playoff final had he got something on the end of Wilks’ cross, in one of several minutes added on by the officials.

But neither team could be separated on aggregate as the game went into extra time.

The drama didn’t dissipate during the additional 30 minutes, and after Taylor forced Marosi into action the visitors eventually got their noses in front.

Mallik Wilks was the danger man again, finding former Millwall striker Marquis in the box as he headed home in front of the Jimmy Seed Stand.

Despite the heartbreak, Charlton responded immediately when Pratley turned the ball in after Marosi parried the ball into his direction.

But the two sides still couldn’t be separated and, after a late scrap between Charlton goalkeeper Phillips and Butler, the game would go to penalties.

Chris Solly, Josh Cullen, Joe Aribo and Lyle Taylor would all convert from the penalty spot, as did Doncaster with each of their three takers, with the scores level at three apiece.

Sarr’s spot-kick was denied by Marosi, but Rowe would send his wide of the target and gift Charlton the victory after 120 minutes of football.