Barnet slumped to their fourth consecutive defeat with Swindon Town returning to Wiltshire with all three points following a 2-1 victory at The Hive.

Barnet produced a positive performance in the first half and after John Akinde had levelled the scores, following Ellis Iandolo's opener, the scene was set for the Bees to hammer home their advantage.

Cruelly, in stoppage time in the first half the visitors regained their lead and in the second period Swindon’s well-disciplined rearguard were able to keep Barnet from taking anything from the game.

Richard Brindley and Jamal Campbell-Ryce have quickly established a good understanding down the right flank and this combination gave the Swindon defence some anxious moments.

Mauro Vilhete, operating once more in midfield, had an early headed effort easily collected by Reice Charles-Cook, but it was indicative of Barnet’s eagerness to get forward.

The Robins took the lead in the 17th minute when Iandolo’s free-kick from 35 yards surprised everyone when he aimed for goal rather than delivering a centre.

The visitors had an opportunity to extend their lead just moments later when Kaiyne Woolery’s cross was not followed up and the Bees were able to clear the ball.

Barnet were behind for just three minutes though, when an Akinde header, from a centre from Campbell-Ryce, levelled the scores.

Both sides pushed to take the lead but the Bees were a more coherent outfit than they have been for many weeks.

The Robins scored their match winning goal two minutes into stoppage time in the first half. Iandolo's free-kick wasn't cleared by the Barnet defence which allowed Matt Preston to find the back of the net from close range.

The Bees never really recovered from this crushing blow, although very early in the second half two opportunities fell to Jack Taylor and it is the outcome of the game would have been different if one of these chances had been converted.

Vilhete also had an opportunity after being set up by Akinde but Swindon’s three centre-backs were resolute and able to keep the Barnet attack quiet for the bulk of the second half.

Barnet’s form dipped alarmingly in the second half and it is difficult to argue that Swindon were anything other than deserving winners.

This result keeps the Bees firmly in the relegation zone, with only Forest Green Rovers below them in the table.

Barnet: Ross, Brindley, Santos, Nelson, Blackman (Tutonda 24), Fonguck (Akinola 88) Vilhete, Coulthirst, J.Taylor, Campbell-Ryce, Akinde. Subs not used: Clough, Watson, Nicholls, Sweeney, McKenzie-Lyle.