Charlton Athletic have denied that the death of one of its fans in a massive pub brawl was football related.

In a statement on the club's website, it offered sympathy to the family and friends of Duncan Frame who was murdered in the fight at the Cutty Sark pub in Thamesmead, south east London, on Saturday night.

But the Premier League club denied reports that the 52-year-old's died in a brawl between rival Charlton and Tottenham Hotspur fans.

"Charlton would like to stress that the club does not believe that the incident was associated in anyway with football hooliganism, or was caused by rivalry between the two clubs," the statement said.

"The club believes that this incident is synonymous with the type of violent behaviour that is evident in our towns and cities every weekend."

The club said it would fully cooperate with the Metropolitan Police in the murder investigation.

"The club will also continue to work with the police and community groups to ensure that The Valley continues to be a friendly, safe and enjoyable place for all fans to come and watch Premiership football," the statement added.

Mr Frame, of Edington Road, Plumstead, was found unconscious at the pub after police and ambulance crews were called at 11.30pm.

A post mortem discovered he died of head injuries and heart failure.

Seven remain in police custody

Police arrested 21 men in connection with the brawl which reportedly involved rival Charlton Athletic and Tottenham supporters.Of the 21 arrested, 14 have been bailed to return to a south London police station in November, while seven remain in custody.

Mr Frame had been involved in a charity evening at the pub when the disturbance occurred.

Friends and neighbours have paid tribute to the "well-loved" Charlton fan.

Floral tributes were laid outside the pub, and neighbours and friends have told of their shock at his death.

Next-door neighbour Venira Chapman, 42, said: "It's a very tragic end for someone who is always doing good in the community. He always had a smile on his face."

Another neighbour, who wanted to remain anonymous, said: "I've put this English flag outside my home in memory of Duncan. I knew him since I was four and I know he couldn't hurt anyone. It's very upsetting and my thoughts are with his family at this time."

The grandfather was a member of the Abbey Mead Social Club in Finchale Road, Abbey Wood, and used to hold fund-raising events there.

'Well-loved by everyone'

Manager Martin Feeney said: "There were countless times when Duncan would raise money for charity or for people in trouble like when an old lady was mugged.

"I knew him for 20 years and he never caused any trouble. He wasn't a violent man. He was a lovely bloke who was well-loved by everyone. He will be missed."

Clare Hopkins, 29, from Thamesmead, who was looking at the floral tributes outside the Cutty Sark and whose parents knew Duncan, said: "We are all shocked. It's absolutely tragic.

"He was a gentle giant. I can't believe this has happened to someone who was such a loveable character who raised money and helped out in the community."

Mr Frame's death is being treated as murder.

Police are appealing for anyone who was in the area of Joyce Dawson Way and Thamesmead town centre between 9.30pm and midnight on Saturday to contact the incident room on 020 8345 3775.

Greenwich borough commander Chief Superintendent Peter Lowton said: "I would like to reassure the public following this tragic death. We will be working closely with the community to bring those responsible to justice."