A man has been jailed for life for the drug and drink-crazed murder of a bus driver.

Just days after being released from prison, Mark Turner, 26, of no fixed abode, used a knife and bottle to kill Luke Rees-Pulley. He caused 80 separate injuries the fatal one being a stab wound to the neck.

He has a string of convictions for violence committed when drunk or on drugs, including possession of an offensive weapon, assaulting a police constable and affray.

On Monday at the Old Bailey, he pleaded guilty to the murder of Mr Rees-Pulley.

He was arrested at Kingston station swaying drunkenly, covered in blood and with a Stanley knife on the floor next to him, shortly after Mr Rees-Pulley's body was found.

The 30-year-old bus driver was killed at his own flat in Heron House, Church Grove, Hampton Wick, in January last year. Turner then stole his mobile phone and used it to phone his mother.

Mr Rees-Pulley, who was openly homosexual, spent the night before he died at London's G-A-Y nightclub and was last seen getting on an N85 bus in Putney with another man.

A neighbour heard him come home at 5am and then two screams. But Mr Rees-Pulley's body was not found until 7am, when a postman discovered blood on the stairs leading to the flat.

Prosecuting, Alan Suckling QC said: "He saw blood on the wall and the stairway handrail, increasing as he got upstairs. The door was open and he saw blood in the flat."

The scene inside was one of utter devastation, with blood found in several rooms, even on the ceiling. Forensic evidence suggested he had tried to fight Turner off and had collapsed several times before he died.

Turner, who has lived on the streets since he was 13, was arrested at 8.30am at Kingston station with Mr Rees-Pulley's mobile phone and travelcard and half a bottle of vodka.

When sober enough for interview he admitted to police he had drunk four cans of Stella Artois lager, whisky, six cans of Strongbow cider and vodka, as well as taking four ecstasy tablets. Psychiatrists believe he might suffer from personality disorder and paranoia.

In a letter read to the court, Turner said: "I have to live with the fact that I killed someone's son and brother."

Speaking after the trial Luke's mother Sandy said: "It's a year and nine days since Luke was killed and every day has been horrible. He was so sweet and so trusting."

An anonymous friend of Mr Rees-Pulley, who attended the hearing, said the judicial system had let his friend down.

He said: "Hearing the catalogue of the defendant's previous offences, many of which were assaults on the police and paramedics, and incarcerations he had already served, it was clear the judicial system had already failed Luke and his family even before today's hearing.

"No sentence could ever fill the void that has been left."

"Luke was a wonderful man and a dear friend to many. He truly embarced life in a manner ararely found. He brought joy, laughter and happiness to people irrespective of age, race or class. His death is devastating and has left a hollow void in the lives of his family and friends."

Turner will serve a minimum of 13 years in prison after entering a guilty plea at the Old Bailey on Monday.