A FORMER footballer has admitted trying to kill a teenager in her bedroom.

Former Maidstone United player Mario Celaire, of Sydenham Road, Lewisham, confessed to savagely beating ex-girlfriend Kara Hoyte at her home in Green Pond Close, Walthamstow, in 2007.

Appearing at the Old Bailey today (Thursday), he was told to expect a life sentence.

The 31-year-old, who is a registered sex offender, also pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of another former girlfriend, Cassandra McDermott, in 2001, despite being acquitted of her murder in 2002.

Miss Hoyte, who was 19 at the time, suffered brain damage after Celaire entered her bedroom through a ground floor window and attacked her with a hammer.

The beating was so brutal brain fluid was found splattered on the wall and ceiling at Miss Hoyte’s home and she was initially given 24 hours to live.

She was left with paralysis down one side of her body as well as a condition known as aphasia, meaning she was unable to communicate.

But she has since recovered and nine months after the attack, she was able to tell officers that Celaire, now calling himself McNish, had admitted unintentionally killing Miss McDermott.

Miss Hoyte told detectives she had found court papers relating to Celaire's 2002 trial and that he had confessed the killing when she confronted him.

His acquittal for murder was subsequently overturned at the Court of Appeal and he pleaded guilty to manslaughter.

A change in the law since the original trial meant it was possible to prosecute him again for the same offence in the light of compelling new evidence.

He is the first person to be prosecuted under the new rules, known as 'double jeopardy' legislation.

Senior investigator Det Insp Brian McCluskey described Miss Hoyte’s recovery as “unbelievable”, saying she is a “brave and tenacious girl”.

Simon Denison QC, prosecuting, said: "The focus of further investigation into Cassandra's death was of new evidence of violence to her, an admission of responsibility for her death to Kara Hoyte and the attempted murder of Kara Hoyte.

"By his plea, he has now, seven-and-a-half years later, finally admitted that in court."

Addressing Celaire in court, Judge Paul Worsley said: "You have pleaded guilty to manslaughter and attempted murder. You must expect a very significant sentence."

Psychiatric reports on behalf of the defence will be submitted before he is sentenced on July 3.