A fire at a hostel in Willesden has destroyed a third-floor studio flat.

The blaze took place in the early hours of Sunday morning (April 14) at the hostel in Pound Lane.

There were no injuries reported, but the fire destroyed a flat on the third floor of the building.

Firefighters were alerted at 3.06am and by 4.21am they had the fire under control.

Crews from Willesden, Park Royal and West Hampstead fire stations attended  the scene.

Firefighters believe the incident was caused by the unsafe disposal of smoking materials.

A spokesperson from the London Fire Brigade said: "If you're a smoker, it’s absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.

"If you don’t, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy your home, but also cost you your life."

London Fire Brigade urged residents to use their online Home Fire Safety Checker, a tool that reveals potential fire hazards in the home.

The spokesperson said: "The online tool will ask you a series of questions that will help us work out the level of risk in your home, or the home of someone you care for.

"It only takes a few minutes to get tailored advice to keep yourself and loved ones safe from fire."