A man had to be rushed to hospital after a fire ripped through a flat and damaged a shop and offices.

Firefighters were called to Holloway Road, Holloway, close to the junction with Seven Sisters Road at 3.45am yesterday morning (February 11).

A ground floor flat was destroyed in the blaze, and a man had to be taken to hospital by ambulance crews.

Six people left neighbouring flats before the London Fire Brigade (LFB) arrived.

Part of a shop was also damaged by the fire, as well as offices on the first and second floors of the same building.

The blaze was brought under control just after 5.30am that same morning.

LFB have now issued a warning about portable heaters, describing yesterday’s fire as “accidental”.

A spokesperson said: "We know that people may want to use portable heaters to heat just one room.

“It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and ensure these items are safety registered and in good working order.

“If you’re using these items around children always supervise them carefully and place heaters somewhere where they won’t be accidentally knocked over and away from anything that could catch fire."

Firefighters from Holloway, Kentish Town and Stoke Newington stations responded to the incident after receiving six 999 calls reporting a fire.

Fire engines were pictured parked in Seven Sisters Road while crews responded to the blaze.