A BLOCK of flats had to be evacuated after a reported carbon monoxide leak.

The Essex Fire and Rescue Service was called to Edmunds Tower, in Haydens Road, Harlow, on December 30 at 4.18pm.

Firefighters rushed to the scene after residents raised concerns over the safety of the building, with some reports suggesting their had been a gas leak.

Alongside Harlow Council and Cadent, the fire crews were able to secure the site before handing the building back over to the authority shortly before 9pm.

According to Dan Swords, leader of Harlow Council, residents were able to return to their homes shortly after, although three families were advised to attend the Princess Alexandra Hospital. 

Writing on X, he said: "Thankfully, everyone is ok and I would like to thank the fire service, council staff and Cadent for their response in dealing with this situation.

"I would also like to thank residents for their assistance and patience and the local community.

"Our housing officers will be carrying out further visits to the tower in the coming days and speaking individually to residents.

The fire service's group manager Marc Diggory added: "I'd like to thank the community for its assistance and patience."