FOUR fire engines and around 25 firefighters were called to a blaze at a flat above a shop in Station Road, Hanwell, in the early hours of this morning (25).

A small part of the entrance to the first-floor flat in the three-storey building was damaged.

Two adults and two children were led to safety by crews after a woman in the flat woke up and noticed the fire. She alerted her family and called the brigade.

The four were treated for shock and smoke fumes by ambulance staff.

It is believed the fire was caused by a faulty battery-charging pack for electric bikes. There were no working smoke alarms in the property.

The brigade was called at 4.40am and the fire was under control by 5.14. Crews from Ealing, Southall and Heston were at the scene.