Five men have been jailed after loaded guns were found in a car following a police chase.

The men were sentenced at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Friday (September 18) to seven years imprisonment each – a total of 35 years.

On February 11, 2019, armed officers were called at 7.50pm to stop a silver Vauxhall Astra in Ewhurst Close, in east London as part of a police operation.

As officers approached the car, the five people in the car fled from the scene, leaving the engine running.

One of the members were seen by officers trying to get rid off a gun as they were chased.

Three were detained and the driver was able to avoid getting caught, but he handed himself to an east London police station a few hours later.

Officers searched abandoned car and surrounding areas, and found two loaded semi-automatic firearms – one inside a rucksack on the front passenger seat and one on the floor near to the car.

A balaclava along with a box containing plastic latex gloves were also recovered.

During their interviews, all four denied knowing anything about the firearms. They were all subsequently charged the next day.

Detectives carried out a number of enquiries and identified Robinson as the fifth occupant of the car. He was arrested on April 23, 2019, and charged the next day.

They were all found guilty of conspiracy to possess two firearms and conspiracy to possess ammunition on March 4 following a trial at Snaresbrook Crown Court.

The men sentenced includes:

• Charles Junior Frimpong, 23, of Pinner Park Gardens, Harrow

• Riccardo Christophe, 29, of Albion Road, Hackney

• Abdul Noor, 23, of Crystal Way, Dagenham

• Korey Lawrence, 25, of Bethune Road, Hackney

• Jahvon Robinson, 22, of Manchester Road, Tower Hamlets

Detective Inspector Glenn Butler, from Specialist Crime, said: “Firearms have absolutely no place on our streets. I hope this sentence deters others from carrying firearms and highlights that those who think they are above the law will be brought to justice.

“I have no doubt that the firearms recovered would have been used to cause serious or even fatal injuries in the hands of those convicted or others.

“I would like to thank my team, supported by firearm officers, for their dedication and commitment in removing illegally held firearms from the streets of London. Both firearms were loaded and thankfully police action on the day prevented them from being discharged.

“Tackling violent crime is the Met’s top priority and I want the public to be reassured that even during these challenging times, a great deal of work is continuing to identify and pursue offenders, help bring perpetrators to justice and take weapons off the streets.”