Firefighters were called to a care home after smoke was spotted smouldering from the building’s rooftop.

Crew from Loughton and Waltham Abbey attended to Mellows on Station Road, Loughton, after receiving a call at 7.40pm yesterday (Friday, January 24).

Staff reported to the emergency service that the automatic fire alarms were sounding and they could smell burning.

On arrival firefighters saw smoke and immediately began searching the building for the cause, which they soon found to be a light fitting that was overheating in a corridor.

The ceiling has suffered some damage from the incident.

This Is Local London:

Firefighters quickly spotted the smoke at Mellows Care Home on Station Road, Loughton

Watch manager for Loughton Fire Station, Jonathan Ford, said:

"As we began cutting the ceiling around the light fitting away we could see that some of the rafters, insulation and electrical wiring was smouldering.

"We quickly isolated the electricity and began dampening and cooling down the whole area.

"Our crews worked hard to bring the fire under control in less than an hour, as well as assist the care home staff in safely evacuating residents."