A coroner has called for new and strengthened food allergy laws after an 18-year-old died shortly after eating a burger at a Byron burger restaurant in Greenwich.

Owen Carey ate grilled chicken with his family at the O2 Arena Byron branch to celebrate his 18th birthday on April 22, 2017.

Mr Carey, from East Sussex, made staff aware of his allergies but was not told the chicken was marinated in buttermilk, an inquest into his death heard in September.

He collapsed less than an hour after first experiencing an allergic reaction to his meal and was taken to hospital where he died.

Assistant coroner Briony Ballard, who investigated Mr Carey's death, has now said that unless action is taken around food allergy information, "there is a risk that future deaths will occur."

In a report to health officials aimed at preventing future deaths, Ms Ballard said she was concerned about the lack of a national register recording severe food anaphylactic reactions.

"I was told in evidence that despite faster ambulance response times, a greater awareness of allergies and a greater distribution of EpiPens that the death rate for severe food anaphylaxis remains static," Ms Ballard said.

"This is attributed in part to the fact that little is known about these deaths because thus far there has been a failure to collect any learning from these tragedies."

The inquest at Southwark Coroner's Court heard that fatal food anaphylaxis has been responsible for around 150 deaths in the last 25 to 30 years, and Ms Ballard said a national register would help specialists "analyse and learn from" these deaths.

Mr Carey's family said in a statement: "Now that we have the coroner's report we are even more determined to push for change to honour Owen's memory.

"As a family we are calling for legislative change, 'Owen's Law', so that the discretion afforded to restaurants to provide allergen information orally is removed."

Ms Ballard also raised concerns about the effectiveness of allergen training at Byron 02, the effectiveness of the placement and appearance of allergen notices on restaurant menus, and the lack of "key" allergen information on the front of menus.

Byron's chief executive officer Simon Wilkinson said in a statement to the PA news agency that he "wholeheartedly" agreed with the coroner's call for a national register to record severe food reactions.

He said Byron's menus are now as "descriptive as possible" without eliminating the need for customers to consult an allergy guide.

Mr Wilkinson added that "from this month" each employee will have their own personal training module and records of when they complete them.

A new law was announced in June requiring all food businesses to label full ingredients on pre-packaged food following the death of a 15-year-old girl from Fulham.

Natasha Ednan-Laperouse died of anaphylaxis after collapsing on a flight in 2016 after she unknowingly eating sesame in a baguette from Pret a Manger.