A Lewisham man was knifed in a "swift and merciless attack" inside a Brixton youth centre, the Old Bailey has heard.

Glendon Spence, 23, and his mates were running away from two hooded teenagers brandishing large knives when they sought refuge in Marcus Lipton Youth Centre on February 21, the court was told.

Brixton stabbing: Murder victim named

The victim was pronounced dead at the youth club where he was a regular after being stabbed in the thigh.

A teenage boy, 17, is on trial accused of murder along with Chibuzo Ukonu, 18, of Loughton, Essex.

Prosecutor Julia Evans told jurors: "From the CCTV footage alone, there can be no doubt that on the evening of February 21 Glendon Spence was chased into the youth centre and there is no doubt that he was attacked there, that he was stabbed and as a result of those stab injuries he died.

"He was the victim of a swift and merciless attack."

Mr Evans said the accused boy, 17, denied being present while Ukonu said he had been there with a knife but denied intending to harm or injure Mr Spence.

The prosecutor told the court the alleged murderers were dropped off in a BMW Series 5 car which had been bought by Ukonu for £1,150 days before.

Mr Evans added: "Glendon Spence and his friends ran inside the youth centre seeking safety.

"Glendon ran into the main room and headed towards the far end. As he ran, he lost his footing and fell to the ground. He managed to get up but he fell over again near to the corner of the main room close to a table tennis table."

"As Glendon lay on the floor beneath him, (the 17-year-old) attacked him with his knife, raising his hand in the air and aiming a number of downward stabbing blows at his prone body."

He got to his feet when the attackers fled the scene but soon collapsed again, jurors heard.

Paramedics arrived but he was pronounced dead at 7.30pm.

The BMW was found that night fire-damaged on an estate in south London.

The court was told Unkonu took a coach to Manchester the next day while the other suspect was arrested when he tried to take a flight to Uganda from Heathrow.

The trial is ongoing.