A furious father has blasted a housing authority for failing to act sooner after the ceiling in his family's apartment fell down, almost injuring his two-year-old daughter.

Scott Tobin, of Ferby Court in Sidcup, claimed he had contacted the L&Q housing authority on June 10 regarding a ceiling leak which concerned him, as future weather forecasts had predicted heavy rain, potentially worsening the situation.

MORE: Pet owner's warning after puppy digests rat bait in Biggin Hill

However, as his family waited for repairs to be made, he said part of the ceiling abruptly collapsed, grazing his young daughter's head.

Speaking to News Shopper, Mr Tobin described the moment he received the shocking call from his partner while he was at work.

"Next thing you know, I get a phone call about the ceiling coming down and hitting my daughter on the head. She's only two.

"If she was underneath it, it could have been a lot worse," he said.

MORE: Queen Elizabeth Hospital breast unit receives £85k donation

Mr Tobin claims that this latest scare is just one of many issues his family have had to deal with while living at the address, including the continued presence of mold, which he fears could negatively impact his family's health.

"When we moved into the flat in 2015, everything was fine for the first six months.

"But as soon as we got to winter, you could smell the damp and mold in the wall.

"My partner is asthmatic and every time we kept chasing up L&Q about it, they would just send someone with mold cleaner," he said.

This Is Local London:

Mold visible in Mr Tobin's apartment. Credit: Scott Tobin

When asked to comment on the ceiling incident, a spokeswoman for L&Q said: "The health, safety and wellbeing of our residents is our top priority. On this occasion we have not provided the high standard of service we aim for.

"We were made aware that the roof had a leak on June 10 and offered our next available appointment of 14 June. Unfortunately the ceiling suffered a partial collapse on June 13.

"We arranged emergency accommodation that night and will cover the cost of alternative accommodation until the roof is repaired.

"We will be contacting the family to offer compensation for the inconvenience and distress in due course."

"Damp and mold is a complex issue and can be caused by many factors, including poor ventilation in the home.

"We have attended the property several times to carry out special washes and plastering and we will be visiting again to see what else we can do. If there is another underlying cause we will carry out any necessary repairs."

It is understood that the roof has been repaired since News Shopper last contacted the housing authority.